INstalling new graphics card and disabling onboard graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleddy4

In Runtime
I am thinking about buying a new AGP araphics card. I current ly have SIS Real256E onboard graphics, which are 64mb shared.

I have a free AGP slot and want to install the new card there.

I have read in differnet places that you need to disable the onboard graphics first or sometimes the bios will automatically detext and change it.

I have already been in my bios/cmos and seen that where it says "onboard video memory" it has a list of 16mb,32,64 and 128. This is currently set to 64.

Where it says "Primary display master", it has a choice of 'PCI' or 'VGA/onboard' and this is current ly set to PCI, which really confuses me because I thought this would be set to 'AGP/onboard' because the computer uses onboard graphics.

So, could anyone tell me the steps for me to install a new graphics card under the above conditions.

thanks, from Edd

It look for pci first but if there isn't one it will look for AGP. When you get a new agp card, set it to AGP and install the card.

but what are the actual steps i need to take?
Please could someone describe it to me more clearly?

from edd

Right in your bios you will have the option of diabling the on board stuff, just look around for it. It should be obvious.

Then turn off the power and install the new card, take a moment to look at its shinyness and smell its PCB aroma. Enjoy.

Turn on the PC, the first thing you should see will be a gist of your new card. Yay, you say.

Let windows boot and install your drivers, from now on your bios will automatically detect your AGP card and the onbaord stuff shall never bother you again.

No, sorry, if i were you i would uninstall the drivers, then install your new card, the bios should realise and the new one should take priority. Then you can continue with your boot like normal until you installed the new cards drivers.

Actually heres a more comprehensive list:

1)unistall old Graphics card drivers using Devince Manager

2)Install new card physically

3)Install new drivers

If your worried about the onboard stuff mucking stuff up disable it before step 2 but beofre step 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom