Do I need an SSD?

Sigh. Yep I meant Gb not mb. Lets call it a brain fart.
Please expound on your wsearch issues. I would definitely stop it if it ran for ten minutes since it should only start when system is idle... Not when it boots. There​ could be something wrong with the index, or it is indexing more than documents folder. Would you not agree?

Sigh. Yep I meant Gb not mb. Lets call it a brain fart.
Please expound on your wsearch issues. I would definitely stop it if it ran for ten minutes since it should only start when system is idle... Not when it boots. There​ could be something wrong with the index, or it is indexing more than documents folder. Would you not agree?

It indexes personal files, as well as system files. The issue I encountered was after disabling it, it didn't bring up any results for any Control Panel items like "Device Manager" or anything in the new Settings app.

After I re-enabled indexing and rebuilt the index cache, the Control Panel items came up, but Settings app wasn't searchable (either from the Start menu or in the search box in the actual settings app). Ended up resetting WIn10 to get it fixed, but the issue came up on my other computer with Win10 for some reason, and found an actual fix for it.

Yea, search is required to hit the start menu and type up something for a search. If you disable it and hit start then type "your program" it won't bring up anything. Search is one thing I used to disable but now keep it enabled.

Most of the things mentioned here though aren't really an issue for him. It's going to be basic boot up and Windows Defender that's bogging the responsiveness after boot. An SSD 100% fixes this issue without needing to go through great lengths disabling everything you want on start up.

It indexes personal files, as well as system files. The issue I encountered was after disabling it, it didn't bring up any results for any Control Panel items like "Device Manager" or anything in the new Settings app.

After I re-enabled indexing and rebuilt the index cache, the Control Panel items came up, but Settings app wasn't searchable (either from the Start menu or in the search box in the actual settings app). Ended up resetting WIn10 to get it fixed, but the issue came up on my other computer with Win10 for some reason, and found an actual fix for it.
Holy smoke! Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

My dad was having the exact same issue, So for christmas I got him a SSD, He however HATES and resists all change LOL I got him to let me install the SSD but a fresh install was NOT a option, He doesn't want to reinstall any programs so ended up copying the old HD, Then try stopping all the extra stuff on startup....UMMMM NOPE won't allow that, He needs it all LOL but none the less the SSD greatly improved the bootup time and having things open much faster. Not a lot on his PC and he's happy, I just couldn't bare ever using his pc when I visit. took way too long to boot up.

My dad was having the exact same issue, So for christmas I got him a SSD, He however HATES and resists all change LOL I got him to let me install the SSD but a fresh install was NOT a option, He doesn't want to reinstall any programs so ended up copying the old HD, Then try stopping all the extra stuff on startup....UMMMM NOPE won't allow that, He needs it all LOL but none the less the SSD greatly improved the bootup time and having things open much faster. Not a lot on his PC and he's happy, I just couldn't bare ever using his pc when I visit. took way too long to boot up.
I have two pcs at home on Win 7 at home. OS on SSD and Data on HD. Both reinstalled clean. I dreaded the idea since I had a lot of software, but listed directories to determine what existed. It turned out that a lot of programs I simply did not use, and I only had to reconfigure / personalize. In the process I made improvements to login and mapping scripts that I would otherwise not have made! And installations for critical programs (on SSD) were wicked fast!
I still take scheduled images of both to my NAS. If I were to redo this, I would do a simple reassignment of documents folders to D drive instead of using symbolic links.

Did you originally start on Windows 7 or 8? Or was the installation Windows 10 from the start?

The reason I'm asking is: Due to incompatibilities with software etc, if you ran the "in place" upgrade from a previous version to Windows 10, there's a decent chance that's why your PC is slow. I ran the upgrade on a laptop with an SSD and Windows 10 was still cripplingly slow... I'd personally recommend backing up your personal data and running a fresh re-install.

Did you originally start on Windows 7 or 8? Or was the installation Windows 10 from the start?

The reason I'm asking is: Due to incompatibilities with software etc, if you ran the "in place" upgrade from a previous version to Windows 10, there's a decent chance that's why your PC is slow. I ran the upgrade on a laptop with an SSD and Windows 10 was still cripplingly slow... I'd personally recommend backing up your personal data and running a fresh re-install.

The in-place upgrade wouldn't leave the old OS intact on another drive. In-place upgrades move the previous install to C:\Windows.old and then installs the new OS on the same drive.

Back
Top Bottom