Micro$oft Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum

In Runtime
I uninstalled Windows Messenger recently. I noticed that Internet Explorer wouldn't load as fast the longer I had it running. After awhile, I had to reboot since no Net programs would work at all. I thought it was my ISP's problem till I had a hunch and reinstalled MSN Messenger. It works perfectly now. Anyone else run into this problem?

In fact, not only SP1 slows the PC performance. Even those individuals patches also slow the performance. These days, i only update selectively, turn off my automatic updating feature and patch those security issues only. I din even patch the SP4 coz it simply hangs my pc more often than it should.

Hi

Ok your problem is that you UNINSTALLED Messenger (I presume we are talking the chat client). What you need to do is keep it on your system but DISABLE it. Fire up Explorer | Program Files and find Messenger, then RIGHT click on the file and RENAME to something like MessengerDIS. This will stop the Messenger client loading but WITHOUT the slowdown experienced in IE6, Outlook etc.

To disable Windows Messenger (the source of a lot of those annoying pop ups) type <services.msc> (without <>) into the run box and press enter. This will bring up the sevices applet. Scroll down to Messenger RIGHT click select PROPERTIES and DISABLE then press STOP. When in the services its a good idea to DISABLE all services that are not required, try here for a good list of services that can safely be disabled.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp/disableservices.htm

Once done you will have a much more secure, stable and faster OS. Hows that for value!!!

HTH

Just out of interest does all service packs slow down the computer? and i have installed service pack 4 on windows 2000 has this slowed down anyones pc? it seems ok on mine?

no, they don't slow down everyones computer. as a matter of fact, I have never had a service pack slow down my pc at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom