MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM, memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam8813b

Solid State Member
I think I'm gonna order the MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM, but I don't know what memory setup to use. I know with some boards if you use 2 DIMM's of double sided memory, you will not get the full DDR400, you will get 333mhz. To me this seems like a big waste in performance. Should I shell out the extra money (really would not like to) for one GIG dimm, or use 2 for this board?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb

The chart at the bottom says you can run 2 DIMM's at 400mhz. BUT, then farther down on the page it says:

Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.

As long as you use two chips that are the same and put them both in a green slot it will work in dual channel mode.

If you want the performance of DDR400 buy a mobo that can support your needs. That one doesn't properly support DDR400 there are many availble that do. I run a P4 with 1Gb DDR400 in dual channel for Abit.

Some people says Gigabyte mobos are the fastest though i've never had one myself.

My WHOLE question is, it says you can run 2 DIMM's at DDR400. But then it contradicts itself saying: Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left EMPTY.

If I order 2x512 DDR400 STICKS, If i place them both in green, I will only get DDR333 Performance. If one is placed in purple, and one in green, I will get DDR400, but the website says not to do this? Its one big contradiction, maybe I just dont get it.

gecko, how is the memory set up on your PC? Have you checked that both DIMMS are running at 400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom