What do you think about eVGA's 6800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanb0rn

Baseband Member
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-130-208&DEPA=0

Refer the above link; I just saw eVGA's nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB 256bit video card on Newegg for $395. I was looking at Gigabyte's offering -

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-151&depa=1

- which was $435 but is now $459; it's been going up. Its heatsink/fan look a little better, and that's the video card I was looking at, but the eVGA looks pretty good.

Second question, now that you're here. A reviewer for the first card I linked, the eVGA one, said that he opened his AGP aperature to 256MB to use 512MB of RAM (256 on the video card, 256 from the system) to use Doom 3's 500MB textures to play on Ultra settings super-smooth. What kind of mobo lets you do this?

Thoughts?

Most mobo's will let you do that. Also the eVGA brand, imo is better than any other when it comes to video cards. The eVGA comes with a burly heatsink itself (good enough for an ultra), so it can be easily overclocked to ultra speeds and beyond. Plus it is cheaper and comes with DOOM3!

I thought you said it was a 6800 not a 6800 GT. Btw, that's a great card I have the exact one and I've oc'ed it to beyond ultra speeds.

Oh, cool, so it's a good card. I'm thinking that, an AMD64 3400+ or 3500+ and 1GB of DDR400 (PC3200) RAM (total of 4GB of the same eventually), and a few other things will make for a nice computer. First time building a computer but I've got a couple Maximum PC's and they make it sound simple enough if you apply a little common sense (and don't do something stupid like get an Intel Pentium chip and an AMD motherboard or a PCI-X card for an AGP mobo.

I would say the eVGA and you dont need that much ram. If you pln on getting alot of ram then get 2gig(2x1gig) pc3200 Corsair or OCZ. Its redicoulus to have that much ram on a single mobo. And most all mobos let you use 256mb Aperature all ranging from the socket A mobos. So basically anything you get will allow you to do that.

I've heard a lot of good things about Corsair and Crucial, and really mixed things about OCZ. I've seen them in the mags, but a couple people I talked to IRL didn't like them at all.

One of the main chips I'm looking at [Link-Newegg.com] is Socket 939. I can't seem to search Newegg.com by "Socket A" properly, but isn't that old? I thought 939 was the latest AMD and that LGA775 thing the latest for Intel?

No, I don't need that much RAM, I was just figuring I'd start with 1-2 and put more if the system got taxed. I want to get into video editing type stuff, and I know when a computer has to render something, it taxes the RAM, especially when you're working with higher bitrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom