First tech job...

cowboytechie

Beta member
So I recently had a interview at a temp agency called K-force in Austin, Texas. I had a couple concerns after the interview. Before I get into those this would be my first "tech" position. So my first concern is that the company is Home Depot. I would be working in there help desk office in Austin. I would be receiving calls from there 2,000 plus stores. There are 300 workers currently at the help desk office. The second concern is the pay/benefits. The pay is only 13/hr. I would be a temp with a one year contract. No paid time off and very few holidays. The final concern would be the hours. I would be working weekends and hours ranging from 3am to 10 pm. The only plus I can find is that I would get 40 hours a week. So my main question is what were your hours while doing help desk? Should I just take the job if offered to get some experience? It just frustrating because this isn't what I really went to school for. I was hoping for more pay at least.

Last edited:
Sounds like a basic call-center type support job. Those will always be basic / "bottom of the barrel" in terms of pay / benefits for tech roles.

But it does give you valuable experience and something to put on your resume. I guess it's kind of up to you if you want to take the position or not - did you put your resume out to other companies? Get interviews with them?

This is the first call back so far. I have contacted several temp agencies and haven't had much luck. I'm probably going to use it as a stepping stone. You have to start somewhere I suppose.

This is the first call back so far. I have contacted several temp agencies and haven't had much luck. I'm probably going to use it as a stepping stone. You have to start somewhere I suppose.

Check this one out:
https://www.truno.com/about/careers

I work for this company as a remote technician. There are a lot of opportunities with them in Texas, and we have a Houston office. You might be able to get in on the help desk, or even as a technician. It's not a bad gig really. In my case they provide the vehicle (gas, maintenance, insurance, etc), tools, equipment, storage unit for extra equipment, stuff like that.

If you were still in school, SpaceX a few hours north is looking for interns ;)
No FT positions sadly

O ended up accepting the position at 15/hr...i hope it works out...kind of nervous because o havent worked in a call center enviroment before. Thanks for the replys guys...first day is march 1st!

Back
Top Bottom