upgrading CPU help

yea, i agree. i was looking at the speed of the cpu models above mine and they're between 2800 and 3300 mhz and mine is 3500 mhz, the only difference is some of them are 8 cores and mine is 6 but i don't need 8 right now anyways. i'm just going to buy the rx480 gpu and save my money for something else. thanks PP Mguire and carnageX for the help! you just saved me 200 bucks!!
They're not real cores, so you essentially have a tri-core vs the quad-core "8 core" chips.

Actually, in AMD's case for that series of processors they're called modules. 2 physical cores that share resources which is why IPC is lacking and why they were pretty unpopular after a while.

Virtual, or logical processors have their own place mostly in productivity. Hyper-threaded cores (which is what Intel uses, a form of SMT) basically come from the OS and applications being able to utilize parts of the core that aren't being used during a given task. In most all cases gaming in particular doesn't utilize this tech.

Actually, in AMD's case for that series of processors they're called modules. 2 physical cores that share resources which is why IPC is lacking and why they were pretty unpopular after a while.

Virtual, or logical processors have their own place mostly in productivity. Hyper-threaded cores (which is what Intel uses, a form of SMT) basically come from the OS and applications being able to utilize parts of the core that aren't being used during a given task. In most all cases gaming in particular doesn't utilize this tech.

eh, Minecraft will soon make use of multi threading, having a thread for each dimension loaded. Which means more threads = better. That being said, other games may follow suit in the next 1-2 years. I wouldn't discount a hyper threaded CPU for gaming entirely, especially if you're looking at recording footage and doing a bit of light editing.

eh, Minecraft will soon make use of multi threading, having a thread for each dimension loaded. Which means more threads = better. That being said, other games may follow suit in the next 1-2 years. I wouldn't discount a hyper threaded CPU for gaming entirely, especially if you're looking at recording footage and doing a bit of light editing.
More threads being better doesn't exactly equate to SMT being better for gaming. It's all in how it's being utilized. If the game is dedicating a task to a thread that's virtual thinking it's physical it could potentially decrease performance because it's expecting equal IPC from each logical processor so it'll essentially have to doubleback or have what I'm dubbing "CPU output lag". SMT in the common implementation is nothing more than utilizing unused cycles of a core. The game would have to be specifically coded to utilize it and since not everybody has SMT it's not going to be a top priority. With Ryzen utilizing SMT this could change but I still doubt it as not even all heavy CPU productivity programs properly utilize 100% of a hyper-threaded CPU. As to recording and editing, most of that is done on the GPU these days. I actually dropped from my 6 core to a 4 core without a change in performance in all areas.

ok, that makes sense. thanks for explaining that. so many things are different than the way they used to when i used to build pc's that i'm running to try to catch up, lol but i have one more question for anybody that would know. i went to look at video cards, the amd rx-480 8gb but their are different brands and i noticed that the best ones are the sapphire nitro, msi, xfx, and asus. which one of these brands would you recommend? i want to get the best one but i want to get one thats quieter as far as the fans go but will get the job done and do it the best graphically.

More threads being better doesn't exactly equate to SMT being better for gaming. It's all in how it's being utilized. If the game is dedicating a task to a thread that's virtual thinking it's physical it could potentially decrease performance because it's expecting equal IPC from each logical processor so it'll essentially have to doubleback or have what I'm dubbing "CPU output lag". SMT in the common implementation is nothing more than utilizing unused cycles of a core. The game would have to be specifically coded to utilize it and since not everybody has SMT it's not going to be a top priority. With Ryzen utilizing SMT this could change but I still doubt it as not even all heavy CPU productivity programs properly utilize 100% of a hyper-threaded CPU. As to recording and editing, most of that is done on the GPU these days. I actually dropped from my 6 core to a 4 core without a change in performance in all areas.

Then why does Linus Media Group use a 24 core Xeon server to render their videos? Because they need it done quickly :p Rendering is very much a CPU and GPU activity.

ok, that makes sense. thanks for explaining that. so many things are different than the way they used to when i used to build pc's that i'm running to try to catch up, lol but i have one more question for anybody that would know. i went to look at video cards, the amd rx-480 8gb but their are different brands and i noticed that the best ones are the sapphire nitro, msi, xfx, and asus. which one of these brands would you recommend? i want to get the best one but i want to get one thats quieter as far as the fans go but will get the job done and do it the best graphically.
I'd have to say one of the MSI cards.

Then why does Linus Media Group use a 24 core Xeon server to render their videos? Because they need it done quickly :p Rendering is very much a CPU and GPU activity.
LMG pumps out a video a day and is about 3 weeks to a month ahead in schedule. They shoot at least 2-3 videos a day and have 6 editors pumping out material to that one server. They have it so they can let AME do the rendering while their machines are free to continue editing material. In times where I am going to render a long video (say over an hour) I'll do the same thing to free up my PC for other tasks. 90% of my videos I was rendering on an i5 6500 at work because I'd edit my content there to upload and had no issues with it. They're also using high bitrate exports and that server doubles as a transcoder for Cineform to x264.

Back
Top Bottom