What is the best OS for security?

Annonymouse

Beta member
I have read about so many security focused OS, yet still haven't quite found what I'm looking for. I'd like to preface this by stating that I've no intentions of doing anything illegal, I'm simply a security nut and have a rapidly growing interest in computers.

Essentially what I'm looking for is this:

1. What would be the best linux OR unix operating system for day to day use assuming I want anonymity on the web and top notch network security, Tails? Whonix? Parrot? Qubes? OpenBSD? Something else?
  2. I would also like to be able run Kali live to start familiarizing myself with the fundamentals of pentesting. Again, nothing illegal. Just want to learn.
  3. What would be your best recommendation on how to proceed? What protocols should I have in place? How would you have it set up?
I know it's a lot to answer, however I CAN'T be the only one who's getting interested in such topics considering our current state affairs...Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Tails is the one that I hear most about for security use
2 & 3: Make Tails and Kali bootable flash drives (separate ones...or turn Kali into Tails by installing the extra stuff). You can make the flash drives persistable or just run-only / store in RAM rather than saving anything related to the OS on the flash drive(s).

Thanks! I'm also considering Parrot Security OS as it seems to already have incorporated both offensive pentesting tools and defensive anonymity protocols. I suppose a better wording of my question would be: If I have to boot Kali or Parrot from a USB, would Installing an OS like Whonix or Qubes which use VMs, to the hard drive add any further benefit when I boot to Kali/Parrot? or would it just be redundant.

I really appreciate the advice as I'm just starting out and could use all the help I can get.

Wouldn't really give any benefits IMO unless you're actively saving things to the HDD's on the system from the bootable OS.

Back
Top Bottom