What to look for in LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tojoe616

Baseband Member
I was looking at getting a LCD monitor as my deskspace and needs for portability are becoming a factor. I was looking at this one. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1093469818215&skuId=6875214&type=product

Was not able to find it a newegg.com :(

I was just wondering what i should look at spec wise for a monitor that is good for internet and games like WoW which is all I really play.

It is not listed on the site but at the store the response time is 25ms.

I read somehwere to get as low as you can. But what is low enough?

The link would not work for me. But a optiquest lcd is in the higher quality area. I dont know a whole lot about lcd's. But as far as i know the faster the responce time the better it is. I dont know the lowest off hand.

yea the link didnt work for me either. Viewsonic, Sony, Dell are all pretty good LCD's. Depends on how high a quality you are looking for and willing to spend. Keep in mind contrast ratio's and ms response times, (total viewing size is what got me)

In my experience things like pixel pitch (aka dot pitch on best buy) and response time are fairly well set by what size of monitor you are looking at. A 19' LCD will usually end up with .294 pixel pitch and response time of 25mm with 20mm if you are lucky. A 17' LCD usually gets a .264 pixel pitch and 16mm response time going as low as 12mm (the current lowest response time for marketed LCD's) if you look hard enough.

Also keep in mind that if you are switching from a CRT to an LCD that the viewable area of a CRT is an inch to an inch and a half smaller than the actual screen size (a 19' CRT is really closer to 17.5' to 18' viewable), where as with an LCD the viewable area is exactly what it is marketed as (19'=19'). If you want to be able to demonstrate things with your monitor to other people you might want to take the view angles into concideration.

The next biggest thing is the contrast ratio I wouldn't go for anything less than 450:1, the higher the number the better.

Personally I would recommend a 17' (your not losing much viewing area and it will shave off some weight) with at most a 16mm response time and 500:1 ratio or better.

Yeah, I'm tied down to best buy, but it's fine cause then I get it right away.

Also thanks for the help. Over in the gaming forum it's all a buncha kids that just shun you if you mention the words, best or buy, even remotely close together.

Utiilities are free here so power consumption I could care less about. And if I can't lift 2 more pounds then I have more things to worry about then what monitor to buy... ;)

what you look for in a LCD is:
Responce time (smaller is better)
veiwing angle (larger is better)
resolution (larger is better)
contrast ratio (high number:small number)
power consumption (low is better)

you can get larger monitors with a higher MS, just make sure you check, my Dell 2001fp has a 400:1 contrast, 20.1" viewable, .255 DP, 16ms response time, and 1600x1200 resolution. These are pretty good specs, so if you make the jump to 20" the quality goes up i think, seems like a lot of the 19" arent soo good. But they are ofc really expensive, you can land a dell same as mine for around 600$ on ebay. and they have factory warranty so dont worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom