Account login Security change

*shrugs* then I assume you have never been on a connection where SSL connections actually suffer greatly. I also assume that you don't have budgets that are so strict, (yay for non-profit private schools?) in your work environment that you have to still monitor what users do, but are stuck with open source software to accomplish such things.

Last edited:
*shrugs* then I assume you have never been on a connection where SSL connections actually suffer greatly. I also assume that you don't have budgets that are so strict, (yay for non-profit private schools?) in your work environment that you have to still monitor what users do, but are stuck with open source software to accomplish such things.

You would be correct.

But having to use OSS isn't much an excuse either IMO; there's LetsEncrypt where you can get SSL certs for free: https://letsencrypt.org/

Exactly, there is no excuse these days not have a website secured with SSL thanks to Letsencrypt and you don't need a static IP address either because there is SNI aswell. Also SSL is becoming friendly with bandwidth as it doesn't need a lot thanks to developments for companies like Google and is becoming increasingly faster than HTTP.

Last edited:
"increasingly faster than HTTP" till you end up on something that isn't a typical transport medium, satellite. lol

In all seriousness though, when you have ~130 users on only a 10Mbps pipe, you will hate SSL as you will be forced to cache website data, and the more SSL there is, the less you can cache. It's why I am against SSL on things that don't actually require it.

Last edited:
SSL all the way...

You must be a good target :cool:

Hope you dont keep much confidential info on your Comp..

Hope you dont keep much confidential info on your Comp..

Hope you understand SSL just keeps people from peeking into a connection, also lets you know if someone has hijacked a domain, doesn't keep them from breaking into a computer system nor network. That aside, traditional network based blocking doesn't properly work with SSL and blocking malicious adverts or even files that are loaded on a secure website, unless you want to buy a NGFW that does DPI and can decide things on its own. ;)

SSL gives a false sense of security, remember that. This website has only one thing personal, an email address, nothing else. Banking websites on the other hand should be fully encrypted to keep prying eyes out, but that doesn't prevent their server from being compromised. It just keeps prying eyes partially out.

Imagine this scenario, which frequently happens.

1: Popular website that is secured is breached, hacker doesn't change anything about the domain but changes the way an advertisement or script is run to load a malicious script.
2: Network firewall can't see what's being transmitted on a secure connection so it has to allow the connection to tunnel through with out traffic being scanned provided the domain wasn't fully blocked.
3: Q.Q user is now infected with god knows what and it can propagate through out the network because a "secure" website was in fact, not "secure".
4: Can't have full control of a network, because lets face it, someone above you is going tell you that they don't need to be monitored, they are cautious users or need to visit commonly blocked websites *rolls eyes*
5: Your entire network it self is now compromised because of a single script that a well known website loaded.
6: You later find out the script could have been blocked by traditional methods if the website didn't uselessly use SSL, because said website has ZERO user input!

Last edited:
Hope you understand SSL just keeps people from peeking into a connection, also lets you know if someone has hijacked a domain, doesn't keep them from breaking into a computer system nor network. That aside, traditional network based blocking doesn't properly work with SSL and blocking malicious adverts or even files that are loaded on a secure website, unless you want to buy a NGFW that does DPI and can decide things on its own. ;)

SSL gives a false sense of security, remember that.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that - SSL is still encryption in transit, which is only half of the puzzle as you also want encryption at rest.

Back
Top Bottom