Question about memory (ram)

I think I am gonna run some tests, Release FO4, Cities: Skylines, Mass Effect 3, No Mans Sky and show how much memory these games can use... Thing people need to keep in mind, it's not just RAM that games use, they use other resources. IMO what one should look at is commit. Had FO4 crashing all the time even though I had 20% free at 8GB, the issue was Commit was incredibly high compared to physical usage and FO4 didn't like it. Off to gaming I go >.>

The BF1 beta for me ran perfectly on 8GB of RAM with a GTX 970. Those running newer GPUs will probably see even more perfect results. (I was getting 90+ fps all the time, spiking between 92 - 150, same as BF4)

Sadly, I don't have most these newer more popular games, but, here's what I have... With 8GB of RAM in some of the games, I would have been hurting a good bit.

Starcraft II: 3.1GB Physical RAM used, Commit was 4.7GB, total system RAM in use is 49%
Starcraft%20II%20RAM_zpsdik9ldlf.jpg

Diablo III ROS: 1.6GB Physical RAM used, Commit was 2.0GB, total system RAM in use is 37%.
Diablo%20III%20RAM_zpsd8gl31z1.jpg

No Mans Sky: 4.0GB Commit, total system RAM in use was 38%
No%20Mans%20Sky%20RAM_zpsoh1nbqk0.jpg

Cities: Skylines- 4.4GB Commit, total system RAM in use was 41%
Cities%20Skylines%20RAM_zpsbrsy86xi.jpg

Here's the big one for me
Fallout 4 Vanilla: 5.3GB Commit, 47% of RAM in use.
Fallout%204%20RAM_zps4lg2gbge.jpg

No Games: 31% RAM usage, Total Committed 6.0GB

So yeah, gaming with 8GB just isn't enough these days IMO, especially if you don't wanna have to close out every application and can just leave them going. That aside, the cost increase of using 16GB over 8GB isn't enough to even worry about.

The BF1 beta for me ran perfectly on 8GB of RAM with a GTX 970. Those running newer GPUs will probably see even more perfect results. (I was getting 90+ fps all the time, spiking between 92 - 150, same as BF4)
Be willing to bet half your stuff was paged too. I'm in the 9GB used range while playing the SP of BF1.

Sadly, I don't have most these newer more popular games, but, here's what I have... With 8GB of RAM in some of the games, I would have been hurting a good bit.

Starcraft II: 3.1GB Physical RAM used, Commit was 4.7GB, total system RAM in use is 49%
Starcraft%20II%20RAM_zpsdik9ldlf.jpg

Diablo III ROS: 1.6GB Physical RAM used, Commit was 2.0GB, total system RAM in use is 37%.
Diablo%20III%20RAM_zpsd8gl31z1.jpg

No Mans Sky: 4.0GB Commit, total system RAM in use was 38%
No%20Mans%20Sky%20RAM_zpsoh1nbqk0.jpg

Cities: Skylines- 4.4GB Commit, total system RAM in use was 41%
Cities%20Skylines%20RAM_zpsbrsy86xi.jpg

Here's the big one for me
Fallout 4 Vanilla: 5.3GB Commit, 47% of RAM in use.
Fallout%204%20RAM_zps4lg2gbge.jpg

No Games: 31% RAM usage, Total Committed 6.0GB

So yeah, gaming with 8GB just isn't enough these days IMO, especially if you don't wanna have to close out every application and can just leave them going. That aside, the cost increase of using 16GB over 8GB isn't enough to even worry about.
64bit files use more, 32bit use less. Yea that sounds about right. If I remember I'll have to test these newer games.

Be willing to bet half your stuff was paged too. I'm in the 9GB used range while playing the SP of BF1.

64bit files use more, 32bit use less. Yea that sounds about right. If I remember I'll have to test these newer games.

A lot of these numbers are under 50% total RAM used, and the game is pushing **** to the page file. Why? That makes 0 sense. If there's available RAM to be used, why is it pushing it to the page file?

A lot of these numbers are under 50% total RAM used, and the game is pushing **** to the page file. Why? That makes 0 sense. If there's available RAM to be used, why is it pushing it to the page file?
That's why I have a large amount and turn pagefile off ;)

Resource allocation has never been a strong suit for Windows.

I have serious issues with Win10 when I disable the pagefile, or even touch the page file settings, so I leave it the same as what it was before I upgraded.

Pretty sure there is a 64bit version of DiabloIII, need to check into that.

EDIT: Appears the 64bit client is in todays patch... lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom