"Safe Errors" AND "Modem Terrors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechQuest

Solid State Member

I have two problems currently striking me at once. First of all, I've got a friend who called me about a problem. The "Safe Errors" as I stated above. When he tries to run scandisk in Safe Mode, after about an hour and 3/4'ths the way, he receives an error

Fatal Exception OE occured at:
0028:C000788E in VXD VMM(01)+000688E

Defrag runs fine, though Scandisk doesn't. I've tried researching the error but I can't seem to find it.

Second error is the "Modem Terrors". I'm currently working on a computer who's modem for some reason doesn't work. I know it's worked before because I was the one who installed it first. However, now, DUN (Dial-up networking) won't recognize it. I've tried 3 different modems, 1 used 2 new, and none of them work. I've tried reinstalling Dial-up Adapter & DUN but that didn't help. I've also changed PCI slots but nothing seems to work. Whenever you try to create a new connection, the Install Modem dialog comes up as though no modem existed. Whenever you check out the "Modem dialog" in the control panel, the modem shows up as do the diagnostics pass. I've removed everything from startup and everything off the mobo but it doesn't help. The modem will also show up in Device Manager. I've also tried going into Safe Mode and removing ANY TRACE of any previous modem. Whether that be in Device Manger, Registry, a file, or within any files hiding on the HD.

TechQuest

hmm... for the first question...im not sure,..probably lost data or bad sectors. tell him to back up his data immediately and run 98 setup.

as for the second,..have you tried enabling it in the bios? please list system specs.

Enabling what in the BIOS?...the Modem is an expansion card, so it is not onboard.

TechQuest

SPECS:

DELL Dimension L800r
PIII 800MHz~
256 Mb SDram
10 Gb HD
Not sure of FSB.

bios also deals with expansion cards, not just onboard devices. sometimes your modem is disabled in the bios. please check if its enabled.

it should be some where in integrated peripherals.

should look like something like this, under pci device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom