Clover point of sale HTTPS security concern

equalmenace

Beta member
Have a client who failed a PCI security audit through Bank of America due to Clover point of sale login credentials being transmitted in plain text. Needs to be switched over to HTTPS.

This is a small business and I'm walking in blind to the problem. Don't even think they have a business class ISP plan. Just a simple modem/router setup. So I doubt there are many options to address this via firewall settings, nor should that even be required given this product is marketed to mom and pops.

Their customer support has been of limited help and they have scant support documentation.

Anyone have experience with Clover POS products that could offer some advice?

I work for a company that sells and supports cash registers and POS, but we handle ISS45, IBM ACE, and Scanmaster. I am totally unfamiliar with Clover POS. I work in the field and not in support, but I do know that getting a system PCI compliant is a real PITA. I would say to contact my company but I doubt they would give advice but would probably try to sell them our system/services.

Are they through Fist Data? What pinpads are they using?

I don't think they're through First Data and that's the first time I've heard of the company. Here's Clover's business page: https://www.clover.com/

The POS device is actually a modified android tablet with a card slide reader, so there's no pin pad or anything of that nature.

I appreciate the reply. It's an unusual problem for me and I haven't received much feedback from anyone I've asked, including Clover.

https://www.clover.com/get-paid/security

The details are skimpy but it looks like they need to up their service to Clover Security Plus. The very first bullet point is PCI compliance. I understand that they are just a mom and pop shop but non-compliance will sink them in a heartbeat should there be a data breach. There is basically nothing you can do yourself to get them compliant unless their hardware is not up to snuff, but the Clover system looks to be new enough to be up to the task outside of additional services needed to pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom