Transfer files from PC to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

knj

Beta member
I want to transfer an Excel file from my wife's laptop to my PC, I copy the file to a CD-RW but when I access on mine it is read only. I know I could save it as a different name, but what if I have a lot of files. The files are not set to read only, both machines are running Windows 2000 & same version of Office. Can anyone help please.

copy and paste it from the cd to your hard drive, right click it, then uncheck the read only option.

or network your computers together and copy it from there

to make it not be read only on a cdrw, you would have to format the cdrw to udf

it happens when burning a cd... if the cd is not rewritable then it will always be read only as any changes can not be burned back to the cd. you must save a copy on your local hard drive to change it. and like Eric said, if you right click on that file and select properties... you can uncheck the read only tab.
if it is a rewritable disk, there could be something in the settings of the cd burning software you are using that sets the files and or disk to read only... check there, if the problem continues you may just need to follow Eric's instructions... networking the computers has many advantages.

Email it to the other Pc.Thats what I do when my network gets screwed up and my daughter needs it fast.

EricB said:
copy and paste it from the cd to your hard drive, right click it, then uncheck the read only option.

I agree. If that doesn't work, try emailing it to yourself and accessingyour email account from your other computer and downloading it to your hard drive.

-Dan The Man

OIDanTheManIO said:
I agree. If that doesn't work, try emailing it to yourself and accessingyour email account from your other computer and downloading it to your hard drive.

-Dan The Man

This is how I get files from place to place as well... may work better if you have 2 email accounts though.

You can also use usb flash - it is easy and useful.
Also if you have your laptop near PC:
a) ethernet-cards in both computers and crosslink cable (good for big files)
b) Link-cables COM-COM, LPT-LPT, USB-USB
c) IR-port (the slow device)

emailing is easiest if you dont have access to a usb device or are not sure on how to link them. although if you have 2 pcs in your house and have a router ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom