Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Question about memory (ram)

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
bembz
Newb Techie

Default Question about memory (ram)

I have 8GB of memory in my computer at the moment and I've never had any real reason to upgrade since I have never had the need to use all that memory simultaneously. I've tried to monitor over how much % of my memory i do use and it is usually somewhere between 4,5-7,2 depending on what i'm currently doing but I've never hit 100% and had the whole 8GB active at the same time, even when I've tried to do so.

My question is if there would make any difference if i upgraded to lets say 16GB and if the extra "room" would add to the preference and make it somehow run smoother.

This may seem like a weird question but the reason I'm so unsure about this is that i know the standard memory in any "gaming" desktop computer nowadays usually is 16GB but I have not found a clear answer to why most people looking for a gaming PC aim for that much memory when i also read people saying 8GB is enough.

Another reason for why I'm unsure is that i heard an SSD hard-drive would preform a lot better if it wasn't completely filled up.
I know an SSD hard-drive and Ram are two different types of memories but it still made me curious if it that could relate to this.

I appreciate it if anyone could help with a few answers and i'm happy to go into more detail if needed.
bembz is offline   Reply With Quote

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.