Fit to be TIED!

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
I am sure some of you will recall the problem (THE PROBLEM!) that i have had repeatedly with my desktop that i (re)built this summer. which is when i try to power the computer on, it is dead.the last time it happened i mistakenly thought i had it fixed when i replaced the power cord. it has operated for at least 2 full months without any issues. however, last night, we had a power outage that lasted a couple of hours. this computer was in sleep mode at the time the power went out. so i knew it would be off when i returned to it. so this morning, i tried to turn it on, and nothing. period. no power, no anything. at the same time i replaced the power cord, i installed a new surge protector. so thinking that maybe in the 3 or 4 quick pulses of power we got as the power failed, i thought maybe there was a surge, and it did its job. so i plugged the cord into a different receptacle. nothing happened. the "ghost" is back. and true to form, all i needed to do to get the computer to turn back on was put it on the repair bench, plug it in, and push the power button. that is what makes this so stinking annoying. same power cable and all. if i take it back down, and put it in its little "cubby", it will revert back to being dead right away. i have tried leaving everything unplugged, thinking that there might be another cord that has an intermittent short in it, causing the no start condition. but its not that. and it certainly is not the cord. i was very careful on the way up the stairs to be gentile and smooth so i did jar something internally. it never had this problem with the old computer parts in place. i replaced the motherboard, cpu, memory, hard drive. i also added a blu ray burner, 1 fan, and a front panel that has 2 usb 3.0 ports and 2 fan controls. i reused the case (and all of its switches), the card reader, and power supply. i am almost to the point where i am going to have to either start throwing money at it, and replace parts randomly, or rip the entire computer apart, and take a magnifying glass to each and every wire, connection, and circuit on the mobo. can anyone think of something i may be overlooking? i am getting desparate.

Last edited:
Have you tested the PSU? Do you have even a basic voltage reader to do this.

What about plugging something else in to the power out let just to check that you are getting power from this socket and if so it could easy be a PSU fault or failure.

Is you PSU capable or running the system at full capacity. What is the PSU Wattage rating. Do you know.

If you moved it to your bench to test it and it worked...I'd say the culprit is around your outlet. It's possible the outlet itself is causing issues.

Also, for computers, IMO surge protectors are NOT enough. They should be hooked up to a UPS if at all possible. All my computers are hooked up to UPS's now, in case there's issues with power fluctuations and such...because then it will always be at a constant power source (the UPS battery), and if there's a power outage while the computer is on, it'll have enough time to safely shutdown.

spud, the psu is a Dynex 350 watt. it is about 5 years old, and worked perfectly until i built this system. 95% of the time, all i am doing with the computer is surfing the web. will it provide enough power under max load? i am not sure. i THINK max load would be surfing the web while burning a dvd AND a blu ray disc at the same time. i have never tried that. it will do one or the other just fine. i have been thinking about replacing the psu since i did the build (actually since before the build) but money is always tight. now that CHRISTmas is over, maybe i can squeeze out enough money to buy a new one. the original psu that came with the chassis was only 270 watts. HP, go figure. hopefully Newegg will have a 400-500 watt on sale next month. /// carnage, i have 3 outlets within 10 feet of where the computer sits. and i have had a fail to power up with every one of them. this truly is one of those "ghost" problems. last night after i posted, i finally decided to try make a new home for the computer, and give up on its "home" cubby spot. so the only real place i could put it where my "dumb as a box of rocks" dog can not get to it was to set it on top of the computer desk, 4 feet off the ground. its kind of risky sitting way up there. but it is way back out of the way, and as long as my son doesn't get to carried away with his teen aged shenanigans, it should be ok there. i am going to buy a good sized piece of industrial strength stick on velcro, and stick the bottom of the computer case to the top of the desk. i know i can get that off if i need to, and it will go a LONG way to secure it. as far as UPS's go, i do know about them. but there is no way i could afford one of them, let alone 3 of them for the 3 desktops (finally all good and modern computers) that are all over the house. no matter if this "cures" this or not, i am going to buy a new psu as soon as possible. at that point, i will tear the computer down and go thru it. the big fear of course is that what ever is causing this problem, might end up doing permanent damage to something. if it happens after that. i would think it would have to be a defective component. exactly how i would go about diagnosing this kind of problem (very randomly intermittent) without buying new parts, i don't know

spud, the psu is a Dynex 350 watt. it is about 5 years old, and worked perfectly until i built this system. 95% of the time, all i am doing with the computer is surfing the web. will it provide enough power under max load? i am not sure. i THINK max load would be surfing the web while burning a dvd AND a blu ray disc at the same time. i have never tried that. it will do one or the other just fine. i have been thinking about replacing the psu since i did the build (actually since before the build) but money is always tight. now that CHRISTmas is over, maybe i can squeeze out enough money to buy a new one. the original psu that came with the chassis was only 270 watts. HP, go figure. hopefully Newegg will have a 400-500 watt on sale next month. /// carnage, i have 3 outlets within 10 feet of where the computer sits. and i have had a fail to power up with every one of them. this truly is one of those "ghost" problems. last night after i posted, i finally decided to try make a new home for the computer, and give up on its "home" cubby spot. so the only real place i could put it where my "dumb as a box of rocks" dog can not get to it was to set it on top of the computer desk, 4 feet off the ground. its kind of risky sitting way up there. but it is way back out of the way, and as long as my son doesn't get to carried away with his teen aged shenanigans, it should be ok there. i am going to buy a good sized piece of industrial strength stick on velcro, and stick the bottom of the computer case to the top of the desk. i know i can get that off if i need to, and it will go a LONG way to secure it. as far as UPS's go, i do know about them. but there is no way i could afford one of them, let alone 3 of them for the 3 desktops (finally all good and modern computers) that are all over the house. no matter if this "cures" this or not, i am going to buy a new psu as soon as possible. at that point, i will tear the computer down and go thru it. the big fear of course is that what ever is causing this problem, might end up doing permanent damage to something. if it happens after that. i would think it would have to be a defective component. exactly how i would go about diagnosing this kind of problem (very randomly intermittent) without buying new parts, i don't know

What about going threw the Basic fault Finding procedure. Its not an exact science but stripping the full system down and building it back up component by component should give an idea of whats wrong and were.

Trying a different power outlet will do the trick as in isolating the problem if it is the power it self from that socket. Plug a heir dryer or something in to it that will draw a lot of power and leave it running for a while. I would think this would provide an idea if the power outlet is defective.

If you can afford a basic PSU tester, even for like 10 bucks just to check the voltage or wattage this will help massively.

What about going threw the Basic fault Finding procedure. Its not an exact science but stripping the full system down and building it back up component by component should give an idea of whats wrong and were.
ok, what is this basic fault finding procedure? i am a mechanic (retired) by trade, and i know the value of such a tool. i have just never seen one for a computer.

Trying a different power outlet will do the trick as in isolating the problem if it is the power it self from that socket. Plug a heir dryer or something in to it that will draw a lot of power and leave it running for a while. I would think this would provide an idea if the power outlet is defective.
that's a good idea. if nothing else it will verify there isn't a problem with them.

If you can afford a basic PSU tester, even for like 10 bucks just to check the voltage or wattage this will help massively.
i didn't know there was such a tool. i guess i will go look at Newegg and see if they have one.

i didn't know there was such a tool. i guess i will go look at Newegg and see if they have one.

Just use a multimeter - since you're a mechanic, I'd assume you have one of those lying around. Then you can just test the voltages with a load hooked up to the PSU (such as a DVD drive, fan, etc.).

Just use a multimeter - since you're a mechanic, I'd assume you have one of those lying around. Then you can just test the voltages with a load hooked up to the PSU (such as a DVD drive, fan, etc.).

awe, i haven't bought a new tool in some time. i was kind of looking forward to having a new tool to play with. but, i own 3 multi-meters. so i might as well put them to good use.

awe, i haven't bought a new tool in some time. i was kind of looking forward to having a new tool to play with. but, i own 3 multi-meters. so i might as well put them to good use.

You say you have no money for a new PSU, but you have money for tools eh? :p

You say you have no money for a new PSU, but you have money for tools eh?
I will not have money to buy either until i get paid next month. but a $15.00 tool is a lot easier to find money for than a $40-55.00 psu.

Back
Top Bottom