Came home to dead dedicated security rig...what now?

Carnage,

That is a nice little trick you shared! I gave it a try on my Windows 7 Ultimate that MS gave me for free and sure enough, it came up as "retail." I was kinda surprised because I thought it would come up as "NFR" [Not for resale].

I will try it on the dead security rig as soon as I have the parts transferred and reinstalled in the new motherboard.

Thanks for sharing Luke! I did not check the capacitors up close...one moment I will do it now...

Ok, I carefully checked them and all of em' appear to be fine [I see none charred, warped, or popped].

Well, do we have a consensus now that it is time for me to try the new MB?

Dang, I sure hope I did not fry the chip. Those i7's cost me over $300 three years ago, and just like the motherboard, the warranty ran out about 6 months ago...

If you've tried a new PSU and nothing is lighting up at all, along with the cmos battery that was suggested further up, then yeah I'd say time to try a new mobo. Thoughts Carnage?

I'd say go ahead and try the new board - all you'll lose is an hour's worth of time or so transferring over and testing if it ends up not being the case.

UPDATE: Thanks again for helping me out guys!

Ok, a little strange behavior after temporarily installing the chip in the new board. Here is what I did and here is what I am experiencing:

Removed ASRock MB
Removed Zalman Liquid cooler
Removed Intel i7-4770k chip

Temporarily installed new Gigabyte MB
Installed 4770K chip
Applied Thermal paste
Installed Zalman cooler
Plugged in Large MB plug
Plugged in Small MB plug
Plugged in CPU plug
Plugged in some peripherals such as fans, water pump, etc.

Turned on power supply
Jumped the power switch on the MB

Results:

Really strange...

System starts up, runs 10 seconds, turns off, then restarts and turns off every 10 seconds or so...it appears to be stuck in a loop or something like similar?

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Dang, I am thinking maybe replace the power supply [I do have 30+ brand new ones laying around, never used, from computer part store I shut down some months ago].

Any suggestions?

PS Hard drives and SSD's data not connected...

Please help me if you can!

Last edited:
Try a different PSU, also, make sure the motherboard standoffs are in the proper location and not shorting the board out...

Thanks Cor! Will do! I was thinking the same exact thing and actually broke out a brand new Seasonic G-650 Gold...not as good as the Platinum, but gotta make do with what we have!

Will post results later tonight or tomorrow!

UPDATE:

I installed the brand new Seasonic 650 Gold. Same problem! Computer turns on for 2-3 seconds, then shuts itself off. Then repeats the same pattern over and over.

Now I am beginning to suspect the i7-4770k CPU. I have replaced the following components:

Motherboard
RAM
PSU

What else can I do?

Has anyone any other suggestions?

Thank you!

PS Double Update: I called Intel and shared with them my story: that I replaced all components and still no go. They graciously offered to send me a brand new Intel i7-4770K. They told me I will have my new processor by Monday of next week. Dang, that sure is great service!

Last edited:
Surprised they are sending a brand new CPU out like that...

Only other thing you can do, is try the new CPU on the new mobo/ram/psu system and see what happens... I generally only see mobos do that reboot loop like that with no post when something is shorted badly.

Typically though, processors don't just go bad from nothing... I seriously suspect the old PSU, or maybe even the other mainboard went kaput and took other things with it...

Surprised they are sending a brand new CPU out like that...

Only other thing you can do, is try the new CPU on the new mobo/ram/psu system and see what happens... I generally only see mobos do that reboot loop like that with no post when something is shorted badly.

Typically though, processors don't just go bad from nothing... I seriously suspect the old PSU, or maybe even the other mainboard went kaput and took other things with it...

Yes, I was surprised too. They asked me to give them the serial number, then informed me the warranty would expire in March 2017. Next, they gave me the option of their "normal" sending options or their "expedited" options. I went with the free expedited option and it will arrive on Monday. Really strange, really wonderful service! I have never had an Intel CPU go south on me and I have built quite a few rigs. Also oversaw any entire school system of computers in Silicon Valley, never had an Intel CPU go south. So this is a new adventure for me and I am really impressed with their warranty service so far.

They did inform me I was to mail the old CPU in their included package if I expected to not pay for the new CPU.

FYI, their warranty tech agents were both female and both were from Puerto Rico. They did ask if I had ever increase the voltage on the CPU, and I informed them I never did because I do not overclock. They also asked if I had tried putting in different components and I told them I replaced everything except for the computer case.

Cor, let me ask you this:

Is it ok to try the new CPU in the old MB, or do I risk frying the new CPU?
Also, is it ok to try a new Pentium G3258 'Anniversary Edition' processor in both MB's before the new 4770k arrives?
Do I risk damaging the G3258?

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
Try the G3258 in the Gigabyte board, if it works, try it in the suspect damaged board... If it don't work, try the G3258 in the Gigabyte board again to make sure the suspect board isn't frying things... Yes, you risk damaging it in the suspect board if the board has damaged voltage regulators.

Intel really likes to get their hands on processors that may have died from "natural causes" as it's not a normal thing to happen, so if the CPU did croak, something must have caused it... Bad PSU fry mobo, thus fry CPU?

It's best at this point to make sure all possible bad components are removed, CPU, mobo, and PSU, and cautiously test known good parts... The fun part with a PSU, it may power up, it may make things spin and look pretty, but if it's putty out bad power, it's gonna fry things fast.

If the G3258 works fine in the suspect board and she boots just fine (wish this was known sooner...) then try with the new CPU that comes in. But I certainly wouldn't try anything with the old PSU if you can help it.

Last edited:
Try the G3258 in the Gigabyte board, if it works, try it in the suspect damaged board... If it don't work, try the G3258 in the Gigabyte board again to make sure the suspect board isn't frying things... Yes, you risk damaging it in the suspect board if the board has damaged voltage regulators.

Intel really likes to get their hands on processors that may have died from "natural causes" as it's not a normal thing to happen, so if the CPU did croak, something must have caused it... Bad PSU fry mobo, thus fry CPU?

It's best at this point to make sure all possible bad components are removed, CPU, mobo, and PSU, and cautiously test known good parts... The fun part with a PSU, it may power up, it may make things spin and look pretty, but if it's putty out bad power, it's gonna fry things fast.

If the G3258 works fine in the suspect board and she boots just fine (wish this was known sooner...) then try with the new CPU that comes in. But I certainly wouldn't try anything with the old PSU if you can help it.

Cor,

You sure are incredibly helpful. I will do as you suggested. It sure makes a lot of sense. I forgot to use my PSU tester on the two PSU's. I will do that too, although it merely measures voltage on each of the wires coming out of the PSU. I suppose that is better than nothing.

Good news about those Seasonics is they have the 7 year warranty, so I should be fine with a free replacement should it prove to be faulty. It did not have the dreaded coil whine and I am glad it did not.

I prefer the SeaSonic SS-660XP due to the hybrid options of turning off the fan [good for winter months]. But I was surprised to see such an incredibly good review by Johnny Guru on the SeaSonic G Series 650W. It is very rare he gives a PSU that good of a rating. But the SeaSonic G Series 650W is not a hybrid and has no option of turning off the fan...

Seasonic G Series 650W Review

I will post my results!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom