Can anyone ID this interface?

cd987bd

Beta member
cd987bd's albums - Imgur

This is a picture of a camcorder's interface and I am trying to find the right USB cable to connect to it. The manufacturer no longer supports and cannot direct me, and I have searched and come up empty. The port "To PC" is the one I'm looking for. I realize I can probably do a work around through a VCR and the S-video, would be much simpler direct to PC. If anyone can point me in the right direction would really appreciate it.

If helpful, the camera is a Panasonic PC-DV852 and the original USB cable part number is VFA0366.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_150849.jpg
    IMG_20161214_150849.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a proprietary port. The older camcorders/digital cameras did that a lot.

I'm not sure where you located that part number, but on page 69 of the manual linked below the part number is different. That being said, since this unit can use an SD card, I would suggest just popping the SD card out and sticking it into a computer when you need to get files off of it instead of trying to hunt down a cable.

That said, if you want to try to order the kit from Panasonic, the link below has an order form on page 70 that has a phone number you can call to try to order it. Also, keep in mind that the software for this camera appears to have only been supported through Windows XP. It may not work on a newer OS.

https://goo.gl/1KWX0i

See the port to the left of the DV letters? I've seen cables with USB to that type of connector before. Perhaps you may have one of these? I'm not sure what that port is called though.

As for the To PC port being proprietary, +1 to that.

See the port to the left of the DV letters? I've seen cables with USB to that type of connector before. Perhaps you may have one of these? I'm not sure what that port is called though.

As for the To PC port being proprietary, +1 to that.

The one next to "DV" is MIni-DV for video output.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not what he wants? A way to extract the videos from the camera?

Video output as in hooking up to a TV/display/digital recorder. He wants a way to put them on his computer, from what I understood - not just view them or play them back / record them onto something like a DVD recorder. That's why he said he wants the "to PC" port identified, which is a proprietary port IIRC.

if (seriousness() === true) {
seriousness.stop.();
sarcasm();
}

TOPC stands for Transmission Oriented Peripheral Connection

:)

Update on progress....zippo. I order the 1394 connection wire to the DV port of the camcorder with a USB at the other end. Using windows 10 I get an error that the USB is not recognized. I have searched for a driver (i.link) and have installed several and nothing works, continue to get the USB error message. I even downloaded and installed another capture software that contained discussion about my issue, thinking it may contain a driver, that didn't work either. As someone pointed out earlier, I found the old software for the camcorder but it is not compatable with Win 10, so a bust there. I tried an SD card but it was the wrong size, so I ordered the specific card from the parts number and that will be here in a few days. Nearly at a point of walking into Best Buy with the camcorder and saying this is what I want to do, help....or buying another camcorder (used, $75-$100) with the PC connect for playback and transfer.

Oh, and BTW, Panasonic was useless. They no longer make the cables and could not offer an alternative.

Back
Top Bottom