Came home to dead dedicated security rig...what now?

Thanks CarnageX!

I did try a new power outlet. That was the very first thing I did. The Microsoft 10 was an upgrade from version 8 and IEEE gave me something like 20 copies for free. So I hope it will work.

I just installed new RAM a couple of minutes ago...still no sweetness.

So do most people here feel it is time to change out the MB?

Is there any other test I can do with my limited amount of computer component testing tools?

Please point me in the right direction everyone!

Also, I am a Microsoft Partner. In the past they have invited my wife and I to their new release conferences and then handed us free copies of the newest MS OS as we left the conference.

That is how we got Windows 7 Ultimate for free when it first came out. At the time of release, I think it was selling for over $700. Microsoft also served us free breakfast and free lunch at each of their new release conferences. They have been really nice to us.

I kinda like that!

Last edited:
Not really much else testing you can do short term besides just moving CPU/RAM to the new board and seeing if it tries to POST.

If you want to make sure that your copy of Win10 is retail, press Win+R to open up a Run command and paste in the following:
slmgr.vbs /dlv

Under the "Product key channel" it should say OEM or Retail.

If it's retail, shouldn't have any issue just swapping the board out (activation wise anyway...hopefully it should pick up the missing drivers on next boot and work fine without BSOD'ing).

I REMEMBER THIS RIG NOW!!!

It's possible the mosfets if the machine was in a building where it could reach incredibly high temperatures, burned out due to lack of a CPU fan moving air to their heatsink...

Win10 will cry foul if you change the motherboard to a different model, but, it's worth testing the CPU, and RAM in the other motherboard to make sure they aren't damaged.

I personally feel the mobo is dead due to overheating. CPU may have stayed cool, but the rest of that mobo certainly got warm.

Win10 will cry foul if you change the motherboard to a different model, but, it's worth testing the CPU, and RAM in the other motherboard to make sure they aren't damaged./QUOTE]

Usually a 50/50 shot with Windows if it will pick up the new board and not BSOD. With Windows 7, it was always Win7 Pro for me that would work...but not any other version. haven't had to try it with Win10.

I tried it with Win10... Same chipset but different model board and it went ape**** over activation. Haven't tried different chipset, but, I would assume Win10 is very forgiving in that department if it's similar, as in, Intel replaces Intel, and AMD replaces AMD.

I tried it with Win10... Same chipset but different model board and it went ape**** over activation. Haven't tried different chipset, but, I would assume Win10 is very forgiving in that department if it's similar, as in, Intel replaces Intel, and AMD replaces AMD.

But was it OEM or Retail? Retail should be fine.

By any chance has the OP checked the motherboards capacitors? A blown capacitor or two might cause this type of behaviour.

-Luke

Not really much else testing you can do short term besides just moving CPU/RAM to the new board and seeing if it tries to POST.

If you want to make sure that your copy of Win10 is retail, press Win+R to open up a Run command and paste in the following:
slmgr.vbs /dlv

Under the "Product key channel" it should say OEM or Retail.

If it's retail, shouldn't have any issue just swapping the board out (activation wise anyway...hopefully it should pick up the missing drivers on next boot and work fine without BSOD'ing).

Carnage,

That is a nice little trick you shared! I gave it a try on my Windows 7 Ultimate that MS gave me for free and sure enough, it came up as "retail." I was kinda surprised because I thought it would come up as "NFR" [Not for resale].

I will try it on the dead security rig as soon as I have the parts transferred and reinstalled in the new motherboard.

By any chance has the OP checked the motherboards capacitors? A blown capacitor or two might cause this type of behaviour.

-Luke

Thanks for sharing Luke! I did not check the capacitors up close...one moment I will do it now...

Ok, I carefully checked them and all of em' appear to be fine [I see none charred, warped, or popped].

Well, do we have a consensus now that it is time for me to try the new MB?

Dang, I sure hope I did not fry the chip. Those i7's cost me over $300 three years ago, and just like the motherboard, the warranty ran out about 6 months ago...

Back
Top Bottom