dead hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzpatti

Baseband Member
I'm running Win98 and when booting up I get a Dos screen notice to run scandisk. At 6% it stops.

I just went out and bought a new CPU but now I need my files from the other hd.

Is there any way I can save my files, email, address book from this hd. What software should I use to check that hd?

you dont need program to get you files from the old drive. just set it as slave to another hard disk, boot the system..and copy your files to the primary/master drive.

You said you bought a new CPU.. Did you get a whole new computer??

If so then doing what my esteemed colleague has suggested will work very well. However, if all you got was a chip, you'll need to borrow someones HD to get your system to boot in order to copy the stuff over...

If you do post it as a slave to another HD, and you still can't get into it, then, with the exception of some serious data recovery programs (read serious as expensive) you aren't getting anything off of it.

Alexander

hmm,..you cant recover files lost thru bad sectors and you cant install on a drive that BSOD'd. however, you can still recover your files by the proceedure that alex and i stated above.

actually,..every hard drive has a bad sector, even new one's. its kind of a hard drive thing...i forgot the explanation..but they all have it. you can still use drives with bad sectors,..but it increases in size and the probability of BSOD happening to your system also increases. neverthless the drive is still usable.

got this earlier...click on the link

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue37/tag/39.html

Here's how to detect and attempt to fix bad sectors.
Double-click My Computer.
Right-click your hard drive and select Properties.
Go to Tools and click the Check Now button under Error Checking.
Check "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors."
Click the Start button.
in some cases it will also prompt you to reboot.

well it would be a good idea just to do a clean install of windows on another/a new HDD then copy some of the files you want from the second HDD, and yes do set it to slave

by installing windows fresh you don't get a whole lot of temporary files still cluttered up deep in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom