Dealing with corrupted files post- ransomware

Jake

In Runtime
So I got hit, due to my own stupidity, learned from the experience, and am now wondering how to deal with the consequences.

I don't want to delete the corrupted files since they still have the titles and I can use that to rebuild, recover some.

I think I got rid of all the virus, but should I isolate the corrupted files or has all the damage already been done?

Also- is there any program out there that can seek out and identify files that have been corrupted (so I don't have to meticulously click on each one to see if it has been corrupted)?

Good luck - I suggest backing up the files and using the tools afterwards, just in case.

You'll definitely want to know what type of cryptovirus you had, otherwise specific decryption programs will be ineffective. Usually the HTML files that tell you how to pay the ransom are a good giveaway, and bleeping computer has a website that tells you which one you have based on its message given in the HTML file. I cannot remember it off the top of my head, but a quick google search should yield results.

You'll definitely want to know what type of cryptovirus you had, otherwise specific decryption programs will be ineffective. Usually the HTML files that tell you how to pay the ransom are a good giveaway, and bleeping computer has a website that tells you which one you have based on its message given in the HTML file. I cannot remember it off the top of my head, but a quick google search should yield results.

This is a good place to start: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...dentify-what-ransomware-encrypted-your-files/

Back
Top Bottom