router fail?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
is there a way to see if our wi fi router is going bad? it has to reset itself several times a day, disconnecting all of us in the process. even if i manually unplug it every day. i also reset the modem at the same time. though it does not seem to have problems disconnecting. there has not been a software update for it in over a year, and it has the latest software running now. this has been happening for over a month, and we can not think of anything other that the unit going bad.

well, it gets warm, but nothing anyone could call hot. maybe 85-90 degrees f. but for the sake of argument, i brought in the compressed air tank, and blew it out. there was a small amount of dust that came out. but nothing i would call excessive by any means. we will see if that makes a difference. but i am not holding my breath. the router is a D-Link DIR-655. kind of a middle of the road router. nothing special, but it has worked well for the last 3 or 4 years. our original reason for getting it was for the kids tablets. they have pretty much grown out of them, and have evolved into pc users. the wife and i also have laptops, so the wireless gets used a lot more now than it ever used to. if we have to replace it, i will post on this board. because there are a few things i want in a new one that this does not have.

If there's no firmware updates available for it, and factory resetting it doens't help (I would suggest giving this a try to see if it helps)...then I'd say just replace it.

Back
Top Bottom