X10 Nighthawk R9000 Router Issues

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
So I picked up an X10 Nighthawk R9000 a little over 2 weeks ago. All I've setup other than basic wireless settings is OpenVPN on the router. Unfortunately twice now I've experienced the below issues.

* All web activity is slow
* Remote desktop over LAN is crawling
* It'll take 10 seconds to initiate a ping of 50 ms
* Download speeds are at best 1 Mbps
* Upload speeds are at best 0.6 Mbps

A simple reboot of the router and I'm back to 150+ Mbps download and 10+ Mbps upload. This seems odd and I'm not sure where to start. I would have expected this to function out of box. For anyone more experienced, does this jump out to you as a defect with the device? I'm debating exchanging for a new one.

Remove OpenVPN settings and run it without the VPN. Could be connecting to a very slow VPN server if you're routing all of your traffic through one...

Remove OpenVPN settings and run it without the VPN. Could be connecting to a very slow VPN server if you're routing all of your traffic through one...
It's setting up VPN as a service on the router. So when I'm away I can connect to my home network. With that said, I disabled it anyway to see if there's a difference. But even still the issues have only happened twice making it hard to test.

Ah, ok. I didn't know you meant you were opening up a VPN on your own network. Though you were just connecting to VPN servers.

Are you wired or wireless? Have you tried updating the firmware, if any are available?

Ah, ok. I didn't know you meant you were opening up a VPN on your own network. Though you were just connecting to VPN servers.

Are you wired or wireless? Have you tried updating the firmware, if any are available?
I feel dumb not having tried a wired connection. I ran the tests over wireless. As soon as it acts up again I'll try wired to see if there's a difference. Firmware is up to date.

Back
Top Bottom