System Does Boot, but, Beeps

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I have a custom system. The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X79.

From a cold boot, I heard the "normal" one beep post. The Windows 10 logo appears on-screen as the OS begins to load, but....

I hear this pattern of 5 short beeps in a row; there will be a pause, then, 5 short beeps in a row.

This continued for a bit even after I logged in and reached my desktop; 5 short beeps in a row. It finally stopped.

Yes, I have the manual for my Asus motherboard, but no, this one successful system beep, but then a pattern of 5 short beeps while the OS loads is not in the manual.

According to my manual, if there's, say, one continuous beep followed by two short beeps, then there's a memory problem.

But has anyone heard of a pattern of 5 short beeps that continues even as the OS loads and gets to desktop?

On a quick 'Net search, I did come across something where someone experienced something similar, but they had a Dell product. The suggestion was to replace the CMOS battery, and that did the trick for them.

What do you think? CMOS battery? It's not like those little batteries are expensive :p

But can you think of anything else?
Pez

Hi all.

I have a custom system. The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X79.

From a cold boot, I heard the "normal" one beep post. The Windows 10 logo appears on-screen as the OS begins to load, but....

I hear this pattern of 5 short beeps in a row; there will be a pause, then, 5 short beeps in a row.

This continued for a bit even after I logged in and reached my desktop; 5 short beeps in a row. It finally stopped.

Yes, I have the manual for my Asus motherboard, but no, this one successful system beep, but then a pattern of 5 short beeps while the OS loads is not in the manual.

According to my manual, if there's, say, one continuous beep followed by two short beeps, then there's a memory problem.

But has anyone heard of a pattern of 5 short beeps that continues even as the OS loads and gets to desktop?

On a quick 'Net search, I did come across something where someone experienced something similar, but they had a Dell product. The suggestion was to replace the CMOS battery, and that did the trick for them.

What do you think? CMOS battery? It's not like those little batteries are expensive :p

But can you think of anything else?
Pez

Wouldn't hurt to try replacing the battery. Can always check the voltage before picking one up too, if you have a multimeter.

Hi carnageX; thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, think I'll give the CMOS battery a shot; I got the motherboard back in 2013, but, I believe it's a 2012 model, soooo....the battery could be somewhere around 4 years old. They don't last forever ;)

However, I don't have a multimeter.

Say, something else I came across while doing some searching on the 'Net: Somebody out there that had experienced some unusual system beeps said that for them, it turned out to be a system fan setting in the BIOS; they disabled it and the beeping stopped.

With my system, I have liquid cooling for my CPU. I've done liquid cooling before; this is actually the 2nd time I've done liquid cooling.

As opposed to the other model of a liquid cooling unit I used to have, this model has two wires that need to be plugged into the motherboard. One wire comes from the fans that keep that liquid running through the radiator cool. The other wire seems to be from the "pump" unit itself that is pushing the liquid through the hoses.

The wire from the fans I plug into the motherboard pins that are marked "CPU_FAN". The other wire? Well, I need somewhere to plug it, so I use the available pins that are marked ASST_FAN. What I'm thinking is....this ASST_FAN thinks a temperature reading is too low/ high, and is sending out a warning beep? This second wire is not from a fan, though, it is from the pump unit that moves the liquid through the hoses.

What do you think? Disable that system fan detection in the BIOS and see if the beeping goes away?
Pez

Hi; I figured it out.

Slightly embarrassing :eek:

I have a piece of hardware in my system that I wasn't even aware made a beeping sound!

So.....I was starting to troubleshoot this 5-beep pattern. I crouch down low to where my desktop unit is on the floor. This beeping sounds almost like the beep sound that emits through the little system speaker....almost.

My ear is right next to the front of my tower case, and I realize this beeping sounds slightly different....and it's also coming from right in front, not down deeper inside the case where that little system speaker is.

I have this little add-on piece of hardware that slides into a front bay on my tower unit (such as where a CD/ DVD ROM drive would go). It's a case fan monitor & speed control. It gives a digital readout of what the temp is inside of the case, plus, with the fans that you connect to it, it allows you - if you want - to control their speed.

Well, evidently, this little unit has a built-in warning feature, a warning feature that BEEPS at you ;) One of the case fans that I have connected to this unit had stopped working, and, this little piece of hardware was letting me know this by sending out a beeping sound. :eek:

I replaced the case fan, beeping went away.
Pez

Back
Top Bottom