the information sharing is getting ridiculous how to stop it?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I just noticed that yahoo mail trying to sync all my contacts from facebook to my yahoo mail

that's getting out of control
every service is forcing me to connect to everything else and share everything and have acess to all my info everywhere.

its getting really bad and people are letting it happen..
has everyone got too docile and not care about their privacy anymore?

I don't have much knowledge about security and laws but there are people who have influence and don't do anything about it and that's pretty disturbing.

Most of those services don't force you to sync. You can disable that or opt-out a lot of the time. They just count on people not opting out.

I just noticed that yahoo mail trying to sync all my contacts from facebook to my yahoo mail, that's getting out of control
every service is forcing me to connect to everything else and share everything and have acess to all my info everywhere.

There is nothing like that. In all likelihood, you have connected a Facebook account, and Yahoo itself. It is optional, not mandatory.

Agreeing with the other two replies. There are tons of services that want to link to your Facebook amongst other things, but I've never seen it as a mandatory thing. The only example of that I can think of is Tinder, which requires the user to sign-in using their Facebook account, and they don't have a regular sign-in option.

It is a matter of convenience though. People are letting it happen because they like the feature. I find it kind of cool that I'm able to log-in to most sites just using my Facebook, as it makes a whole lot easier.

I can understand your frustration, but I don't see it how you do. Everyone has their own opinion though.

Most of those services don't force you to sync. You can disable that or opt-out a lot of the time. They just count on people not opting out.

I'd be far more comfortable with most of these services forcing you to opt-in rather than opt-out though; my consent is absent if not explicitly provided IMO. But on the service provider's side, it's far easier to just bulldoze ahead and go "oops sorry you didn't want that you can change it back". Way better uptake for new "features" that way

I'd be far more comfortable with most of these services forcing you to opt-in rather than opt-out though; my consent is absent if not explicitly provided IMO. But on the service provider's side, it's far easier to just bulldoze ahead and go "oops sorry you didn't want that you can change it back". Way better uptake for new "features" that way

Oh totally - I'm not saying Opt-out is good (because many people won't opt-out) - opt-in is definitely better...but there's usually a little blurb about "if you would like to opt out uncheck this box or go into settings, blah blah blah".

I never purposely connect anything to anything else. besides like you said tinder or where I absolutely have to. I spent 2 days trying to avoid connecting tinder to my facebook

and when I looked in my yahoo mail it had a list of all my facebook contacts. not added but they are there available which means whether I like it or not they are connected, they just give me one option. to add them to my address book, like its a choice..
theres not even a delete option.
and I'm not even talking about my phone number showing up everywhere even places that are questionable why they even require my phone number..

they all say its for security reasons..

Back
Top Bottom