New pc build - motherboard not posting

shelby081990

Beta member
I recently finished my new build, parts list here ---> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sHVR4C. When I try to start it I get an error code 55 on my mobo. According to the manual this is a memory initialization error. I've tried all the troubleshooting I can think of. I've reseated the ram in every possible combination, including using 1 stick, I've checked the CPU pins, I've tried booting without the graphics card, I've reset the CMOS, etc. I've also tried using DDR4 2133 ram. I really don't want to have to return the mobo, so if anyone can suggest anything else I can try first, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Have you tried only a single stick of RAM (not sure if that was included in the "reseated in every possible combination" that you did)?

Semi-dumb question/suggestion: do you have another CPU you couu drop in and see if it works? I had a similar issue once upon a time and it was the CPU (AMD has the memory controller onboard the CPU, I'm not sure about the newer Intels).

Similar issue here:
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Error Code 55 Memory Initialization Error

I guess first do like suggested there and check the CPU to make sure there's no bent pins on the board, and that it's seated properly and such.

Otherwise, sounds like similar issues to what's being described in that topic with issues between the memory and board.

I did try it with the 2133 ram and I was still getting the same error. I finally gave up and sent the motherboard back though, so hopefully I won't have any issues with the new board :annoyed:

Semi-dumb question/suggestion: do you have another CPU you couu drop in and see if it works? I had a similar issue once upon a time and it was the CPU (AMD has the memory controller onboard the CPU, I'm not sure about the newer Intels).

Unfortunately I don't have any extra CPUs lying around.

Last edited:
I did try it with the 2133 ram and I was still getting the same error. I finally gave up and sent the motherboard back though, so hopefully I won't have any issues with the new board :annoyed:

Good luck - let us know how it turns out!

***Update***
So I returned the mobo and got a replacement and I'm still having the same issue.

I don't know if this could be what's causing it, but is there a way I can update the bios even though the computer won't post?

***Update***
So I returned the mobo and got a replacement and I'm still having the same issue.

I don't know if this could be what's causing it, but is there a way I can update the bios even though the computer won't post?

Not to my knowledge, no. So we've ruled out the board then since it's been replaced. I believe I read earlier up in the thread that you tried different RAM, so that rules that out, all that's left is Trotter's earlier suggestion of the CPU being retarded.

I'll do some investigations and see if I can get any information regarding that particular model causing (any) issues. If we can isolate it to a particular batch or model, then you might be able to get the processor replaced or swapped for a model that won't cause the issue for you.

On a side note, is your display picture actually you? If so, you're really pretty :)

Edit: (Incoming Information)

This may or may not be relevant?
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...k-ram-issues-boot-ram-slots-furthest-cpu.html

Might be an idea to investigate the cooling system and see if the cooler is properly seated and so on.

Annnd then there's this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3108479/6700k-0ghz-boot.html

The RAM you tried, was it a different brand? Or solely a different frequency? If there are known issues with G.Skill RAM, then you might be able to get it swapped for another brand to see if that works. Others appear to have had success when trying this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom