PC Fails to Boot Anything, Even Windows 7 Setup

MissFangs

Beta member
I recently upgraded my PC from an AMD board & CPU to a Skylake system. The specs are as follows...

CPU: i7 6700k
MB: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3x
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080*
SSD: Corsair 525GB MX300 (and a 1TB seagate hybrid drive)
PSU:*EVGA Supernova NEX 650w
RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB Vengeance LPX*

Problem: My hard drive, being leftover from the other computer, still has Windows 7 on it (which won't boot because of the old drivers). This shouldn't be a problem though, as I want to install a fresh copy of Windows on my SSD. However, every time I try to launch the windows 7 setup*(either in the form of a bootable USB or a bootable CD) it crashes after "Windows is Loading Files", around the time the four dots come together on the starting windows page. No crash message, just a sudden shutdown. *

I've tried to:
Boot with one Ram Stick
Boot with XMP turned on
Boot with integrated graphics
Boot setup in safe mode (which worked, but it can't complete the installation in safe mode and it won't boot outside of it)
Format my SSD to GPT
Boot old HDD in safe mode (which does work, but only for about a minute until it freezes and becomes inoperable)
Install the latest version of BIOS on my MB

I'm at a bit of a loss... Not sure if this is hardware or software related; in fact, I have not the slightest clue what this is related to at all. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

I vaguely remember hearing something about skylake CPUs not supporting windows 7, but I'm unsure if this was changed or not because I'm relatively sure it caused a minor uproar at the time. But if that's still a "thing" then this may be your issue.

Secondly, why are you staying on Windows 7? Updating to Windows 10 has numerous benefits.

Last edited:
So, I see you have two hard drives. Are they both connected when you're trying to do this? I would connect ONLY the one you want to put Windows on until you get a fresh copy of the OS installed and see if that helps.

Also, how are you trying to install Windows? Flash drive? Disc?

So, I see you have two hard drives. Are they both connected when you're trying to do this? I would connect ONLY the one you want to put Windows on until you get a fresh copy of the OS installed and see if that helps.

Also, how are you trying to install Windows? Flash drive? Disc?

*snip*

However, every time I try to launch the windows 7 setup*(either in the form of a bootable USB or a bootable CD) it crashes after "Windows is Loading Files", around the time the four dots come together on the starting windows page. No crash message, just a sudden shutdown. *

Read the OP m8 xD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom