Hard drive won't show up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the number one problem on why hard drive are not recognized are the ide cable aren't set up correctly. if it don't work as master/slave try cable select

that said
I'd run them as ntfs

right click on My Computer, go to hardware, then device manager
go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, double click primary IDE channel
then go to 'advanced settings' and make sure device 0 and device 1 are both set to auto

Also it sounds retarted, but has worked many times for me in differnt senarios..lol..Its usually always a jumper setting that will cause this. Try starting at the begging with the jumper and if it gets passed the BIOS, is detected in the BIOS, and the machine boots, see if you can now see the drive in my computer. Try each jumper with the above mentioned untill you find one that works good. Of course you will have some that wont pass BIOS, but thats ok it will do nothing to the drive.

i just shoved a 80gb into this comp it NTFS and the main drive is fat32. running xp pro

Zimon

Why not try taking out the 80Gb HDD, change the 200Gb to a master and see if its recognised.

If it isn't seen send it back,

If it comes up as 137Gb, flash your bios,

If it comes up with an unknown size your mobo cannot cope with it.

XP is fine and will recognise it after the bios loads it.

I know as i had almost the exact same problem, I had a 120Gb Wester Dig in and bought the 200Gb about a year ago. But if I were you i'd swap both over to NTFS, Xp sometimes goes berserk with FAT32. It once deleted 90Gb of my data claiming it wasn't mine. And besides a good solid formatting of drives now and again is good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom