What is changing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt1

Beta member
Hello all, it's been a while since I've been to any forums on Computer Tech.

Someone was telling me as of Jan 05 that computers are going to take a dramatic change in technology. That components are not going to be made for these earlier system no longer and so forth. Could someone explain what this is all about?

Thanks

umm.. well theres new graphics card from Samsung with 512mb of gddr3 memory here
and then theres Windows 64 comin out sometime, im pretty sure its not that soon though (w00t! if it was). umm... maybe Intel will be releasing their consumer 64bit but i dont think thats that soon either. hmm i cant really think of what you heard of. Be more specific if possible.

maybe the Vikings are gonna stop choking and play to their potential.... :confused: well it wouldnt have anything to do with computers but it would be dramatic and it would definitely be a change!!!

Besides the above mentioned, pic-x will become more developed than agp cards and mother board. The nivida motherboard that supports pic-x will be released soon. This and ATI will have its own solution to the SLI video card line.

So far, from what I've been hearing here, its nothing more then when we started seeing AGP or Ultra ATA a bunch of years ago. Anyhow, my father walked into his local computer shop and was told a major form factor change was coming about with the motherboards and so on. What had me a little off was that I was talking to someone at a local shop and they seemed to be under the same impression.

They even went so far as to say that when they hit....trying to get new hardware for the systems out now or a little earlier will not be avaliable soon after.

Like I said before, I've been a little behind lately on things and all with other things going on in my life and I was thinking of upgrading soon. I'm still one of the 98se hold-outs as well.

Thanks
Patrick

Well the pic-x is going to make the normal agp video cards and mother boards harder to come by, but it wont be like one day its hear and everything has changed. Most of us who dont have oodles of cash will probably buy a pic-x pc with in the next year. right now the technology isnt necessary for todays games or applications, also it kind of expensive when you start talking about the sli and everything else with ddr2 and a 939 chip.

i think you're talking about the new BTX form factor motherboards, that is only for intel for now. I'm pretty sure that most mothrboard companies are going to convert to BTX form because it has better airflow, less sounds, and less heat, but that won't really screw up any other hardwares though. The only hardware that's going to get affected by the btx form factor is basically....um... let's see.. . the case??? that's about it. New technology is coming out for processors, videocards but they won't be only for the new systems. It can also be installed on old systems i believe(except the SLI, which only about .1% of the total population will get), and it's not going to change that drastically pt1 so you don't need to worry about it so much.

Remember the Y2k millenium bug or something?? everyone was like, oh no, i have to safe lock my computer inside a titanium steel safe so it won't get affected and so forth but nothing really happened.

yea maybe theyre talking about SLI, but that will NOT apply to hardly anyone but HARDCORE gamers, developers, video people and the like. It is not gonna be a technology for the average consumer for quite some time I wouldnt think.

and they will not just stop manufacturing components for older computers, and most certainly computer techonology that we have right now. Theyd be shootin themselves in the foot! and for a million different reasons they wouldnt, I wouldnt listen to that at all, it wont happen.

*edit* well it will happen but over time, not just BAM! tmrw they dont make 754 boards anymore.

it's PCI-E not PCI-X
PCI-X is a 64-bit expansion slot used in G5's
PCI-E is the same as PCI, but it uses a serial bus rather than paralell, and is faster than PCI

also, Intel is trying to move to BTX, but so far has not made the move AMD seems to want to stick with ATX for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom