2 cd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud

In Runtime
I just got another CD drive to put in my computer, but being my idiot self, i'm not sure how to do it and the instructions suck :), i got power to it, but i cant make my pc detect it. all that came with it is a cable with a black video plug on one side, and on the other is an white audio and a black video plug. How can i hook it to my cd drive that was already in it to make it work? Sorry if i cant explain it well enough, i dont have a digital camera or i'd take a picture of it. Any help is appreciated.

you need to plug in an IDE cable, it is a wide ribbon cable
your computer should have at least 2 IDE channels, one with your hard drive and the other with your CD drive; each channel should support 2 drives, with 2 ends of the ribbon cable going to the drives, and one to the motherboard. you should use the cable that your first CD drive is on, and connect it to your new drive; try not to have a CD drive on the same channel as a hard drive

To make sure your computer can detect it you have to find out what setting the other device is which is on the same ide ribon cable. One is set to master and one is set to slave. If they both have the same setting you will run into problems.

What is your current drive configuration? How many optical drives and hard drives do you have?

Are all the cables in tight? the ribon cables at the mother board as well?

ok i see what you are saying apokalipse, i forgot if it had 2 plugs on the IDE cable or not, its at a different house now, but the one that came with the cd drive i bought had 2 on it I know, i'll just use that one if i have to, how do i see if they are set to master or slave?

aheheh, good drawing :), ok i got that, but how do i set them to master/slave or see what they are set on?

they should have jumpers
guide_burners_step3_300x225.gif

the drive should have the jumper settings written on it

on the back of the drive it should tell you how to change the jumper to master or slave, you change a small jumper on the back of it. it should be next to where the ide cable goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom