Unmountable boot volume

Artsy Husky

Solid State Member
K my problem is I have a spos HP laptop. I'm getting a hard drive short DST failed code. I went and got a Microsoft media creation tool on the USB but it doesn't do anything but I really need to know if this is fixable. The hard drive light stays on continuously. If anyone knows anything and
anybody can help please let me know.

Can you hear any clicking or any noises from the drive when it attempts to read it?

If you're getting the failed code...then I'd say it's toast.

Are there files that you're wanting to recover, or are you just wanting to reinstall Windows? If the latter..then you'll just need to buy a new drive and install Windows on the new one again.

Can you hear any clicking or any noises from the drive when it attempts to read it?

If you're getting the failed code...then I'd say it's toast.

Are there files that you're wanting to recover, or are you just wanting to reinstall Windows? If the latter..then you'll just need to buy a new drive and install Windows on the new one again.

If I have to buy a new drive would I need to buy a new OS? The drive doesn't make any noise, just the activity led is constantly on.

No you wouldn't need to buy a new OS, just a new hard drive - or ssd would be even better actually.
But yes, agreed your hard drive is pretty much dead. Stop using it asap if you've got any data you want to get off it, get the new hdd/ssd and reinstall your OS (what OS do you have btw?)

No you wouldn't need to buy a new OS, just a new hard drive - or ssd would be even better actually.
But yes, agreed your hard drive is pretty much dead. Stop using it asap if you've got any data you want to get off it, get the new hdd/ssd and reinstall your OS (what OS do you have btw?)

I have windows 10.

Once I have the new hard drive how do I go about getting my OS on it?

You used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft already to make a bootable flash drive, right?

You'll just install the new hard drive, and then boot off of the flash drive and go through the installation steps for Windows. You can skip the step to enter in a license key, because once connected to the internet it should automatically activate for you (since you already had it activated once).

You used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft already to make a bootable flash drive, right?

You'll just install the new hard drive, and then boot off of the flash drive and go through the installation steps for Windows. You can skip the step to enter in a license key, because once connected to the internet it should automatically activate for you (since you already had it activated once).
I have the media creation tool already I just need to get the hard drive and then I'll be good.

Last edited:
I have the media creation tool already I just need to get the hard drive and then I'll be good.

Yup, exactly.

Though, like Soul mentioned, I'd opt for an SSD if you can. Samsung 850 EVO's are quite nice and decently priced.

Back
Top Bottom