While my PC is switched OFF, HDD are still active.

@nline

Baseband Member
Hello,

This is about my ASUS Desktop PC.
I contacted 2 different Hard Disk External with it.

But when I turn off my PC then these 2 HDD are still alive/active. I got 7 USB into this PC and tried all 7. But then I got same result.
Any solution for this problem?

Thanks.

What's the model number of your system? What model numbers are the external HDD's? Do they have their own power source, or are they only hooked up / powered via the system's USB?

ASUS M32CD

1st HDD name is "My Book" 3TB
2nd HDD TISHIBA 500GB

My Book 3TB is connect via power & USB
TOSHIBA 500GB is connect only via USB

EDIT:I just bought new Desktop PC. I never had that kind of problem with previous desktop PC. I mean when ASUS Desktop is powered OFF. But both HDD are active. The lights are ON of both HDD.

Last edited:
You said the MyBook has it's own power source - well that'd by why it's still powered on.
The 2nd is connected only to USB...and still receiving power, so most likely the reason both drives aren't "sleeping" is because they're receiving power from the USB ports, which a lot of desktops do this even while Off still.

To either charge devices or provide Wake features.

+1

USB can still be active on newer machines for charging things like wireless mice, phones, tablets, headphones ect.

You said the MyBook has it's own power source - well that'd by why it's still powered on.
The 2nd is connected only to USB...and still receiving power, so most likely the reason both drives aren't "sleeping" is because they're receiving power from the USB ports, which a lot of desktops do this even while Off still.

To either charge devices or provide Wake features.

Okay.
But this kind of problem was not to previous Desktop or current Laptop. Both HDD automatically OFF after PC shut off. Maybe something wrong with this new Asus Desktop:( Then better I send it back. Because 2nd problem is that Wi-Fi too is not so good. Many times Wi-Fi connection is automatically disconnect itself:mad: Better I send it back :(

Anyway, many thanks for the support!

The USB staying on is not a problem, it's made to work that way. Depending on how old your previous machine was it probably was not the norm to have charging USB ports.

Which ports do you have these externals plugged into?

Like PP said, nothing wrong in regards to the USB ports on the desktop - they're designed that way.

But if both HDD are connect 24 hours a day. Then it can be worn. I mean it not good at all to have current into both HDD all the time. Even your PC is switched off.

I got so so many computers/PC before. None of these had this situation. Because an HDD is active even PC switched off, then its life will be much lower. Because it is 24 hour ON. For me its not good at all that my 3TB HDD & TOSHIBA 500 GB are ON while PC is switched OFF. And all USB-port of this PC got current while is OFF. Because even the shop keeper to said that this not good for your HDD to have current 24 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom