best external drive for system back ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quitollis

Solid State Member
question from a lurker here -- any help MUCH appreciated.

i am in the market for an external hard drive, first to transfer files from my old system to my new one, and second to keep a regular back up of my new system.

what is the most reliable, hassle free 160 gig drive for this purpose? it can be either firewire only or firewire / usb 2.0 duo.

i have done A LOT of looking around online, reading reviews, etc. people's opinions differ so much. so far i am biased away from the maxtor 160 as i have read horror stories about failures.

i am leaning towards the seagate 160, but the lacie 160s also look good. i just don't want the thing to crap out on me and go through the hassle of returning it. and as far as the "one button" backup features go, i figure there is a software option out there to back up my system to my satisfaction, regardless of what comes with the drive.

many thanks!

One option rather than buying one from a company that is pre built is buying an external enclosure, and then buying a regular hard drive. You can find a usb2 enclosure pritty cheap. Thena buy any hard drive you would like, or use an old one. This combination tends to be cheaper than anything else. Look into it. I have see the enclosures on newwgg.com and tigerdirect.com.

thanks for the tip-- my only issue is, my old system is firewire only (a card i installed). so i kind of need the drive to be firewire for the transfer part of the equation to work.

are there enclosures that support both usb 2 and firewire? is it really just as simple as buying an enclosure and then any old internal drive i see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom