Help Restoring Ghost Image from partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

walter83

Beta member
I currently have a setup where i have 2 partitions. 1:1 is data and 1:2 is where i would keep the ghost backup

I am trying to make an automatic ghost restore cd that gets the image from the second partition.

I have tried the following command but it does not work.

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pload,src=1:2\ghost\winxp.gho:1,dst=1:1

The error i get is that it can not open the image file.

All directories are correct where the image is and the filename is correct.

Can anyone tell me what part of my command is incorrect?
Hopfully it is actually possible to load an image from another partition like this.

Thanks

The first partition is ntfs and reads fine in ghost as 1:1,
The drive with the image (1:2) is fat32.

you just answer your own question, format the second partition to Ntfs

ghost 2003 will overite both partitions on the same hard drive and make just one partition. with 2003 ghost, you need 2 seperate physical partitions.

walter83 did you use my directions from the TF tutorial?:

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/restore/restore-disk.php

just curious, your script looks very similiar. I beleive your problem lies here:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pload,src=1:2\ghost\winxp.gho:1,dst=1:1

that is telling ghost to use the image file called winxp.gho from inside a folder called ghost. lets assume your 1:2 is your FAT32 drive. did you name your ghost image winxp.gho and did you stick that inside a folder called "ghost"?

can not open the image file means it cannot locate your winxp.gho file in the location you specified in your script.

walter83 also are you using ghost version 2003 or later? any older version will not be able to access any ntfs volume to restore the image. you can find out what version you have by doing this:

run that boot cd you did and at the point where it gives you the error again hit "escape" key. it will put you back into DOS. type ghost and hit enter to take you back into ghost. the first screen shows you the ghost program's version

Yes. That is the guide i used when doing this project.
I have the winxp.gho located in the ghost directory on 1:2

Does it only work with particular versions of ghost?

I am using ghost 7.5 i think.

Symantec Ghost 7.5 is compatible with the commandline switch you used and it can read NTFS. From this point I don't know what to advise you. If you want me to check your setup add username "eksine@hotmail.com" to MSN messenger or windows messenger and I'll try to help you troubleshoot. Or give me your instant messenger name and I'll find you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom