new build for 18 y.o

OK got him talked into Win10 - but of coarse that sale has ended. Main reason he did not want to go to Win10 is the old games he likes playing that apparently wont work on Win10. But he has resigned himself there is no other way - without a lot of hassles.

What old games? I've never had issues getting most of my older games to work, except the ones I need my 98 box for. Even still, those games didn't work on 7 either.

OK- Hopefully final question. Which WIN10 home version to buy. Obviously cheaper to buy OEM. What does full retail get you - besides ability to transfer to new PC/motherboard ? But now: there is digital download vs thumbdrive vs CD. WHich is easier on a new build.

And Of coarse - the sales I found are all gone - KIDS !!

Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit-Newegg.com = Cd = $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSFLEKEKAFAB-_-32-588-528-_-Product = Thumbdrive or download Retail = $130

Last edited:
well after a month on going back and forth with my 18 y.o on parts etc. I have decided to give him my 2 year old PC ( i5 sandybridge with a 290 ,etc.) and build a new one for myself. I have a good PSU and 1 500 GB harddrive and a 1 TB hard drive but need everything else.

CPU - i5 Skylake 6600K
GPU= 1070 ?
RAM= 16 GB DDR4 ( 2 x 8 GB)
MOBO= Good enough to do some overclocking
Case= MID TOWER - Nothing fancy
SSD = 500GB or less - enough for WIN10 plus a few things.
OS= Win10 64 bit.
Cooler for CPU= good enough to cool for overclocking

I will be purchasing within a week.

Back
Top Bottom