Favorite websites!!

McKee

Beta member
Hey all!

like most of the other people on here im fairly new to IT. im a mechanic thats switching careers and am about to start school for a computer information systems associates. a few questions i have for you tech vets...what are your favorite websites?? i learn best when i dive right into a culture. so what do you look at while you drink your coffee in the morning? im very interested in programing but am nervous being so new. so second question. ar there any websites that can give me a taste of programing? something that instructs and maybe lets you code some? all the help would be great. thanks dudes

It's very simple. Nobody can ever teach somebody or something.
You can only themselves to learn, and if you have problems, then we can help you find solutions.
So. Your best friends are at this moment:
the main, it is you itself
and the second is Google search and internet connection.
If you have specific questions, just ask. But remember - to ask something, it means, first you must know what You exactly need. Cannot be, that give me something and somewhere. It is nonsense.

Hey all!

like most of the other people on here im fairly new to IT. im a mechanic thats switching careers and am about to start school for a computer information systems associates. a few questions i have for you tech vets...what are your favorite websites?? i learn best when i dive right into a culture. so what do you look at while you drink your coffee in the morning? im very interested in programing but am nervous being so new. so second question. ar there any websites that can give me a taste of programing? something that instructs and maybe lets you code some? all the help would be great. thanks dudes

Is the CIS degree you're going for focusing on programming? Usually that's a Computer Science degree, and CIS isn't usually as much geared towards programming (kind of like how Computer Engineering is geared more towards the hardware than software of a computer).

As for sites to learn programming... that depends entirely on your skill level. If you don't know any coding languages whatsoever, then a good place to start is CodeAcademy - they have interactive projects/tutorials that you go through to learn anywhere from the basics to more advanced levels.

it isnt. like i saaid im interested in it but nervous. ive heard people say programming is very difficult. my college has a cs and is program with a lot of the same courses so i could switch the major. but can i program with a 2 year degree? not against a 4 year just wanna get into a job with a 2 year if possible. i have a family and still work full time so my classes will be evening and online. i dont know anyone personally thats gone to school for IT so i apologize if my questions seem to broad

Eh, development isn't really that difficult. I have a BS in CompSci - I only knew some really basic HTML when I started college and now I have a full-time software development job after graduation with a government entity. I will say, however, it does take time dedication. And you have to be open to learning new things, and be able to think in a logical way, as well as be somewhat creative in finding solutions to potential problems you may face (having a really good ability to Google search is key as well to find existing solutions to problems you encounter as well).

And really, you can do development without a degree in a lot of cases; not as likely with a bigger development business, but on-your-own projects and such you can. Heck, there's indie developers for games / phone apps that don't necessarily have a degree and just had a good idea and drive to learn development and hit it big (remember Flappy Bird?).

I tgink thats what attracts me. Mechanics is kind of the same way. Some guys get degrees and work for big companies. Others start tuning and building out of their garages and next thing they know they own their own companies. Family has to come first thats why i figured a degree was more solid. I need that 40 hours and insurance and all that jazz so a bigger company is the goal. Do you enjoy programming?

I do enjoy programming actually. It's a variety of challenges, particularly when I get to work on something something fun and "new". Originally while getting my CS degree, I didn't want to do development at all. I was planning on doing IT after graduating...but I got burned out on doing IT work, and figured I might as well try development...and ended up enjoying it for the most part.

I moved positions in my current job, and previously all I did was port old versions of applications to new versions, but had to keep the same functionality (not a complete rewrite); which honestly bored me and I didn't really enjoy that much. Now I moved to where I work more with API's & services (and helping develop/push them more), as well as newer programming technologies (I'm basically on the R&D team now for our development group). This I find more fun & engaging, since I originally come from an IT background.

I definitely suggest learning a beginner-friendly language like Python (or even HTML/CSS/JavaScript with focus on things like AngularJS, React, and NodeJS, as that's becoming HUGE as well for web development apps).

It will be very cool if you dive into sites with programming tasks. The most suitable site for everyone, from new one to expert, is codeforces. You will make awesome IT career if you start your day with coffee and completing programming tasks ( as I do ) :)

i found some apps to learn python, java, and c++ so im currently working on the basics. i like the idea of doing challenges everyday.

Back
Top Bottom