Monitors Go Black, sometimes flash, sometimes stay black and require a restart

dwarfdude77

In Runtime
So yeah, starting about two weeks ago my dual monitor setup would just all of a sudden go black, they might flash like once or twice and the episode would last for 5-30 seconds, and then they'd go back to normal, I looked online and found no solution, but figured it was fine as it didn't interfere too much with my gaming (I play Smite by Hi-Rez primarily). So tonight I'm smiting with a friend, and we get into a custom game together, I load in, and my monitors go black. And they stay black. And they say no signal. This had only happened a few times before and was usually fixed by a restart so I restarted, only to have the same exact thing happen twice more: load into game, black monitors, restart. On the last time (a few minutes ago actually) my primary monitor said "input not supported" instead of the usual "no signal". This is getting super super super annoying, please help right away.

P.S.: I wasn't entirely sure what category to put this under, hope I got it right! :D

Do they work in safe mode? Off hand it sounds like a driver failure or hardware failure. If it will work in safe mode then it is software, probably.

I restarted in safe mode, however, my monitors only seem to die when I'm actually playing smite etc., and I can't do that in safe mode. So yes, the monitors do work in safe mode, however that doesn't tell us anything as they only usually crash while I'm actually in a game.

Update: The problem only seems to occur when I am entering graphics-strenuous areas of games, ex. smite, paladins, atlas reactor. However, I am able to play AC Syndicate without any troubles at all?

What kind of temps are you getting on your card? Have you checked the fan(s) to verify that it/they are working? Have you tried using software to increase the speed of the fans?

What kind of temps are you getting on your card? Have you checked the fan(s) to verify that it/they are working? Have you tried using software to increase the speed of the fans?
I'm getting no higher than 66 degrees C on the card, the fans are indeed working, going at about 500rpm when the card is in use (when playing a game), I have not tried to increase the speed of the fans manually, what program would I use for that?

Also, just played a game of smite without any issues. Don't know if the problem suddenly solved itself or if it's just temporary, i'll keep you updated.

Addition 1: Huh, so that was weird. Played another whole game without any issues, then at the win screen my screen goes black for a few seconds, comes back on, black, on, black, on, and stayed on. Odd.

Last edited:
What GPU do you have?

Have you updated your graphics drivers from the GPU manufacturer's site?

Try rolling back to an older set of drivers, like the beginning of August. I have a 960 and have had issues in certain games with certain releases.

Back
Top Bottom