new build for 18 y.o

I don't know - had no time to look before leaving for work this afternoon. SO, obviously check that first when I get home. If cooler fan is not working - we have our culprit, try to get it to work first. If not, hopefully the 2500K is not damaged so when I put the new cooler on it works properly. Should have trouble shot this first- but figured he had already done that. Whats that old saying about "assuming things"...LOL

He doesn't need the overclock either, so if heat is such a problem make sure it's no more than 4GHz, make sure it's cleaned up good and has fresh paste until the winter.

OK , Finally I got a chance to check this out more. Yes the Zalman CPU cooler fan was not turning properly, and it was loose. So, I took if off , cleaned off the old thermal paste, and replaced it with a stock Intel 2500K cooler that had never been used. I booted it up and the cooler seemed fine. So - the MOBO was sending power to the Zalman fan.

He is sleeping - so cant really test the system. Will update asap.

I guess he isn't into overclocking anymore- so maybe the 2500K CPU is not fried. If the CPU is indeed fried. Then the new build will be modified to a Skylake that cannot overclock and the cheaper MOBO will be purchased as well.

Ok update, it is his Sandybridge cpu, one core is messed up. Temp is way off ,even on boot up. Way too high. It is obvious = 20 celcius higher than other cores.. We could run Prime, but pretty sure.

So, need cpu, mobo, ram, cooler, case.

Cpu= skylake 6300 ( no overclock)
Mobo=
Case=
Ram = cheapest DDr4

Mobo, whatever works in budget. H110 would do good for up to 32GB of RAM in the 2 slots. If you want something with 4 slots you'll probably need to get an H170.

Case, also depends.

I'd be curious to test that CPU myself.

hmmm Well the 6600K just went on sale - Now only $5 more than the 6500. So Why not spend the $5 .

What do you think of this MOBO for $90?

ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

And this SSD - will surprise him as an add on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&ignorebbr=1

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854028

Ready to check out of new egg:

Skylake 6600K CPU = $230 with sale code
16 GB Ripjaw DDR4 = $64
Samsung EVO 500GB Sata 3 SSD = $158
Phanteks case= $60 after mail in rebate
Asrock Pro H170M MOBO = $90

Total = $617

He thinks he can use the win7 from the existing HHD - we shall see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom