Cooling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxar

Baseband Member
Hi,
I've recently decided to build my own computer(this will be my first time), and I've got a rough figure of what I want in it. This is what I have at this point:

Case: ASPIRE X-Navigator ATX Mid-Tower Case (includes 500W Power Supply)
Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
Video Card: ati Radeon x800 XT Platinum
CPU: AMD Athlon64 FX-55
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
RAM: Apacer 512mb DDR PC-3200 SDRAM, Samsung chipset (2 of these)
HDD: Western Digital 160gb 7200rpm
Pioneer 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner

as well as a 19" flat-screen monitor, basic keyboard and mouse, and a set of speakers which I already own.

My question is this. The case I am getting includes 5 fans: 2 rear 80mm, 1 top 80mm, 1 front 80mm, and 1 side 120mm. Will this be enough to keep my system sufficiently cool, or will it need additional help?

Thanks,
Luxar

Thanks. And sorry for more questions, but could you recommend a good heatsink fan for me?(I'm assuming that's what hsf means) Would the heatsink and fan that is included w/ the processor in the retail box be ok?

Sorry, I'm still new at this.

Luxar

heatsink fan for me?(I'm assuming that's what hsf means)
Yup that's what HSF stands for. Of couse the stock heatsink is 'ok'....do you think they would give you a heatsink in the box if they thought it would be on the verge of getting too hot and dying? They'd lose business that way. You only need aftermarket cooling if you plan on doing overclocking really. Other than that you really don't need anything special.

My old case had no fans, and I just had the stock HSF on there....ran at 64C....pretty hot...but mine was burning a little hotter than normal.

Or if it's generally hot in your house you might want an aftermarket heatsink for better cooling, but the point is they wouldn't put in a heatsink if they thought you processor would still get too hot and fry

Well I can't exactly recommend anything other than a thermaltake volcano 12+ (that's what I use) I'm loving it.. even more than ever especially since both nubius and I have used a lapping kit to smooth the surface. (not sure what hsf he has)

I love this hsf though, I think stock it took off like at least 5C with the fan at 4500rpm. The slk-900 (i think that's it) with a tornado fan though, I've always heard that this is a great combo, although it probably costs twice as much.

Thanks all of you for all the help. Those were just the kind of answers I was looking for. Much appreciated.

i personally use a thermalright heatsink with a vantec tornado fan and it works great. enough cooling to overclock and thats considering my house is almost a sauna so you may want to consider it, but ive never used a thermaltake and i hear theyre good also so guess you cant go wrong either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom