Need A Little Help Buying A Laptop

Easy John

Baseband Member
A while back (last year, actually) I was looking for a Laptop. I got a lot of help from different people there, which I do appreciate very much. Lots of help from McGuire, or something like that. Can't remember. Anyway, life got in the way of things, and I had to postpone everything a little bit. I am, however, still looking for a Laptop for basic use.

Things I'd like to do on it are just basic browsing, watching videos, etc.. Obviously, a good bit of HDD/SSD space and all that would be great too. I don't need too much, but just in case, you know? Oh, and I'll be doing different things at once, like Youtube on one browser and another, heavier website on another with lots of stuff going on in the page itself, which I know slows everything the hell down a lot.

I decided that, since it's not anything to complicated, I'd just go to a regular electronics place, like PC World or Currys (I'm from the U.K.). I had a look on their site, but there are so many damn options with all these terms and things I've never even heard of.

What do you guys recommend I look out for these days? What specs/ports, etc., would you guys think could be useful or even necessary? I know it's for basic use, but a little bit of forward-planning never hurt anyone, right?

I'm guessing Windows 10 over 7... a decent screen for HD or 4K, or whatever's going on now... plenty of USB ports, an Ethernet port, etc.... a good bit of battery life.... maybe Asus or Lenovo...

Anything else I should look out for? And what should I avoid?

P.S. The budget I've got is around £500.

I will agree with the Lenovo and the Asus!
My mother has my old Lenovo (which I had for 4 or 5 years before handing it over, and that was 6 years ago) and it's still an awesome laptop - does what she needs, anyway. And I have an Asus which has lasted me 7 years so far - I dual boot, now, Linux and Win10, for work, and it handles it just fine.
Both brands are reliable, well priced, with good specs - and you can always upgrade RAM, HDD etc.

Yea, if this laptop will literally have 0 gaming on it I'd go for the Asus. Faster processor, more RAM to start, and I'd immediately replace the 2TB with an SSD. Solid laptop for the price.

Thanks for the response, guys.

I was just thinking... Wasn't there an issue with upgrading parts on a Laptop? How would I replace the HD for a SSD? And is it really that much better to have a SSD?

I was just thinking... Wasn't there an issue with upgrading parts on a Laptop?
Certain things can be upgraded relatively easy. Things like RAM and HDD are usually easily accessible in some form and can be upgraded or replaced. Other parts like GPU, CPU, and screen not so much.

Yes, it's almost necessary to have an SSD these days.

Back
Top Bottom