Building my first gaming pc

wardzanden

Beta member
Hello everyone I am building a pc for the first time and after having done alot of research I ended up creating a list of parts for the system and I would like to know everyones opinions about it. I am planning on creating a pc with the following parts:

-i5 6600K
-msi gaming M5 motherboard
-2 x 8 GB of corsair vengeance LPX at 2.133 GHz
-EVGA gtx 1070 FTW edition
-EVGA 650 GQ power suply
-Sandisk Ultra II 480 GB SSD
-arctic freezer i32 air cooler
-NZXT S340 case

I want to be able to overclock my i5 to at least 4.4 GHz and possibly 4.5 while keeping temps under 80. The 1070 FTW is for some reason much cheaper then it should be in comparison to other 1070's in my country, costing 20-30 bucks less then comparable offerings of other manufacturers and only 10 more then the SC. I like having the option of going for an SLI configuration in the future. I tend to not use much storage in general, keeping only some documents and the games I am actually playing on my pc, so I figured 480 GB would be enough for now and if I needed more I could always get an extra hard drive in the future. Im planning on pairing this build with a 1440p monitor.

Any comments would be helpfull, Im especially not sure about the cooler because it doesnt fit the red and black color scheme I was going for, but from what I have heard its a very good cooler for the price.

Personally, I'd go with a Samsung EVO 850 500GB over the Sandisk, but that's mostly personal preference towards Samsung's reliability.

As for the cooler, I'd suggest going for an AIO water cooler, something like a Corsair H50 or H60 (comparable price to your Arctic Freezer). I was sketchy on water and didn't want to do any kind of water setup until I tried out my AIO Corsair H110 that I have now. The only maintenance I do on it is have to wipe dust from the radiator every so often.

I have looked into AIO coolers and despite the fact that they offer better performance and look really good (my case has a window), I have, at least for now, decided to go whith air cooling because I heard it was much easier for newbies like me and they are much more expensive, a corsair h50 or h60 seems to cost at least 70 and this air cooler is only 29.

Fair enough - the list prices I saw for it were putting it closer to $45 or so, and the H50/60 around $60.

As for "easier" - I'd say the AIO is just as easier, if not easier. You just mount the rad/fan to your case, put thermal paste on CPU, and mount the block to the CPU (usually have to have a backplate on the back of the board as well when mounting the block).

Cleanup IMO is certainly way easier. I have it so my fan is sandwiched between the case and radiator, so any dust gets caught on the radiator and not the fan(s). Then I just take a damp rag and wipe my radiator off and I'm done cleaning the dust off. Air coolers, the dust usually settles in between the fins more and you have to use more canned air to get them cleaned properly.

Last edited:
+1 to Samsung 850 EVO, and +1 to AIO. I'll also say, you do not need to OC that CPU at all for anything. If you chose to avoid this advice you're going to need a much better cooler than that to properly cool your CPU. Your aim should be 70c, not 80.

update: I decided to get the 850 EVO for my SSD and got a better air cooler for my cpu. AIO's are just atrociously expensive compared to air coolers, after looking up some benchmarks I found that price to perfermance just seems much better for air. Maybe after some years I will use one in a different build.

+1 to Samsung 850 EVO, and +1 to AIO. I'll also say, you do not need to OC that CPU at all for anything. If you chose to avoid this advice you're going to need a much better cooler than that to properly cool your CPU. Your aim should be 70c, not 80.

Yeah, I agree with you, I bought Samsung 850 EVO and I'm satisfied with it ;)

Back
Top Bottom