Greetings!

Techno Turtle

Solid State Member
Hi there! My name is Andy coming to you from Portland Oregon! I have decided to join the Techist community to learn some knowledge about this technological world that surrounds me. My very first computer was a Gateway Windows 98 desktop along with using XP and Vista growing up. I really enjoy learning about Programming, Networking, and Hardware (basic level experience). Off topic things I like to do is ride my bike, go hiking to observe nature around me, and study philosophy. I am really excited to join you guys and look forward to learning some knowledge from all of you here on this forum!

Hi there! My name is Andy coming to you from Portland Oregon! I have decided to join the Techist community to learn some knowledge about this technological world that surrounds me. My very first computer was a Gateway Windows 98 desktop along with using XP and Vista growing up. I really enjoy learning about Programming, Networking, and Hardware (basic level experience). Off topic things I like to do is ride my bike, go hiking to observe nature around me, and study philosophy. I am really excited to join you guys and look forward to learning some knowledge from all of you here on this forum!

You sound young enough to make me feel very old, if your FIRST computer had Windows 98 on it.
My first computer... *thinks* I can't even remember.
I know I had a x286 at some point and it was like.. WOAH so fast, man. So fast.
And then... I got a 14.4 modem to go with it and I was FLYING!

Welcome to TF :)

You sound young enough to make me feel very old, if your FIRST computer had Windows 98 on it.
My first computer... *thinks* I can't even remember.
I know I had a x286 at some point and it was like.. WOAH so fast, man. So fast.
And then... I got a 14.4 modem to go with it and I was FLYING!

Welcome to TF :)

yeah 27 is real old. Off to the nursing home with you.

Whats your position on E.T, I. Being of the Philosophy type do you think we will become a dominant force in the Universal Cosmos.

Welcome to the forum Andy!

All who have posted in this thread so far appear to be much younger than I am, I started out with an IBM PC with an 8086 cpu and a staggering 256K of RAM. That thing was amazing although it took longer to do it's memory count at startup then my current computer takes to boot to the desktop.

Welcome to the forum Andy!

All who have posted in this thread so far appear to be much younger than I am, I started out with an IBM PC with an 8086 cpu and a staggering 256K of RAM. That thing was amazing although it took longer to do it's memory count at startup then my current computer takes to boot to the desktop.

I think I started with similar things - and worked with machines that still used punch systems in some cases.
At the university I worked at, we still used MAG tape for backups, and for the "mainframe"' system which we had for quite a while before it was replaced by a BLINDINGLY fast server - think it was a 286 with 1024 MB memory and a hard drive that held 180 MB.
Brick drives, we called them, because they were the size and weight of them.

My father worked for WANG/ICL/IBM as an original programmer.
I just liked to play games when we went to visit (once a year). Asteroids, and things like that. Then one year (before he disappeared) he let me play Chuck Yeager's Flight School for hours and hours. I got really good.
I look at the graphics now and I think "how did I think it was SO AWESOME?" but back then it was.

A lot of my memory is gone, unfortunately, due to a head injury in a riding accident 11 years ago - so sometimes it takes someone else saying something to spark something coming back.
So, thanks for bringing back this memory!

Portland, OR eh? I'm just across the bridge in Vancouver, myself. Born in OR though, moved up here in the 4th grade. Whereabouts in PDX are you?

Back
Top Bottom