Experts Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if your CPU budget is 300, definatly go with the AMD s939 64 3500+. You can find MB's for less than 150 with that..but I might up your video card budget.

get a P4 prescott !!!! I got mine really cheap and it runs fast!!!!
But I would recommend the 3.4ghz model. Also get pc3200 ram with some respectable latency timings. Oh yeah get PCI-Xpress !!!!
AGP will be like the ISA bus soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Althon 3500+ is an better CPU then 95% of all Intels. I highly recommend an 3500 rather then an Intel 3.4. You have to decide what processor your getting, and then we can go further.

Well I wouldent say that an Athlon 3500+ is better than 95% of Intel. The new intel p4's (prescott) has 13 new multimedia instructions and a longer data pipeline. With the 1mb of L2 cache with the advanced hyper threading. The newer prescotts have advanced anti-viral data execution measures. Also the prescott has a smaller process (90nm) compared to other processors, which allows more transistors to be packed in.

I'm not going to say Intel's are "shit" but I do say that Athlon 64's have quite an edge over them in gaming

firstly:
Athlon 64's already have anti-viral measures
Hyperthreading is good for multimedia, but quite lousy for gaming often decreasing performance
longer pipelines means it takes more time for the CPU to process instructions than with shorter pipelines; this is why AMD CPU's with lower frequencies often outperform Intel CPU's with their lower frequencies, because they have shorter pipelines
and most socket 939 processors are already 90nm; I'm certain they have a 90nm 3000+, 3200+, 3500+ and some FX's

Intel CPU's seem to do better in multimedia apps but AMD CPU's are more often better in gaming

if you're building this machine for gaming, I would also recommend an Athlon 64 3500+ winchester (socket 939)
with an Abit AV8 3rd eye, Gigabyte K8NS or Asus A8V

for graphics cards, IMO the best for its money is the Nvidia 6600 GT. you might want to go higher with the 6800 GT if you can save money elsewhere but the 6600 is still a really fast graphics card

I would recommend against DDR2 ATM because it is in its early stages, and by the time most people have it, it will be cheaper and better. this applies to PCI-E too.
lower latency RAM makes very little difference to higher latency RAM; the timings are in nanoseconds, so a module running at 2-2-2-5 will only get 4% better performance than a 3-3-3-8 module (lower timings are better) but will usually be at least twice the price, when higher frequency RAM will give you a lot better performance increase.
I would suggest Kingmax PC4000 Hardcore RAM because it is cheap, reliable, really overclockable, and really fast. the price is about the same as medicore PC3200 RAM

for hard drives I recommend Seagate or Western Digital 120GB-200GB SATA drives
both companies make good quality HDD's, I personally prefer Seagate for their low noise

LG and Pioneer 16x dual layer DVD±R/RW drives are IMO the better of the DVD burners, 16x is the fastest, and they are both good quality

for a case, I would recommend one from Antec or Thermaltake. Antec cases often come with a PSU, and being Antec, those PSU's will be good quality
Thermaltake cases don't come with a PSU, but the ones they make are still good quality. a lot of people like the look of Thermaltake cases better, even though they are more expensive

you can get second hand CRT's which are really good; I got a 21" Sony Trinitron for $380 (aus) which has awesome graphics, despite only being used with my TNT2 video card (now overclocked)

I learned a lot of what I know on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom