JVC rear-projection TV not showing output from HDMI (and other external sources)

whiskeykitten

Baseband Member
Hello!

I THINK this is the right place to post this - it's not COMPUTER related, but it is gaming/multimedia related... I guess.

My husband has a JVC 1080P rear projection TV (47") that was working beautifully with multiple input sources. HDMI cable for the xbox (and swapped to the PS3 when needed) and a separate HDMI cable for the gaming PC (she's a monster, and we love her) plus connections to our run-of-the-mill DVD player...
It was working perfectly up until we had a MASSIVE thunder and lightning storm here about a month or so ago. Our house wasn't hit, and we unplugged everything as soon as we heard the thunder and lightning start... but it seems we might have been too late. Not sure.

It's a weird problem: The onscreen menus still work perfectly! It powers up fine, all actions work... but none of the plugged in devices show any output on any of the channels...
The TV channel kinda works - it's wavy lines and static, which is what it was before... (we don't have any aerial, or TV package) but both HDMI slots no longer seem to work, and neither does the normal VGA, and none of the sound either. We tried connecting directly (we have a home theater system with Dolby surround 5.1 that everything normally goes "through") to each device, but none of them are showing any output on the screen.
Tried brand new HDMI cable and still nothing.
The devices themselves seem to be fine - they were all powered down when the storm started. The TV was on standby, as it usually is.

We've swapped the bulb out as well - brand new one - and it also made no difference. The other bulb was fine, no blown filament, or staining.

Any ideas, clever people?
I can give you the model number of the TV, but I don't think it makes a difference in this case...
We ran all the TV-related diagnostics in the onscreen menus... they all said "Working"...

Thanks in advance!

A

Unfortunately if there's an issue it's likely to be hardware-based in this case. Post the model number of the TV and I'll have a look around for you :) how good are you with a soldering iron?

The only other easy things I can think of to test would be to verify these devices actually work with another screen still, but seems highly unlikely they'd all be dead at the same time lol

Unfortunately if there's an issue it's likely to be hardware-based in this case. Post the model number of the TV and I'll have a look around for you :) how good are you with a soldering iron?

The only other easy things I can think of to test would be to verify these devices actually work with another screen still, but seems highly unlikely they'd all be dead at the same time lol

Thanks for the response - I will find out the model number later today and add it to the post.
(and as it says in my greeting post - I was taught young to use a soldiering iron! :D)

Thanks again!

Do the composite or component inputs work? If not, it could be a good chunk of the mainboard took a dive on you.

Yeah, that's what I said to my husband, but he's in the denial stage of grief still.

Not sure about the component inputs - I'll ask if he tested that.
We tried everything else.

Yeah, that's what I said to my husband, but he's in the denial stage of grief still.

Not sure about the component inputs - I'll ask if he tested that.
We tried everything else.
If you still have the cables for the DVD player plug it in the composite area and see if it comes up. If it does try something in the component section. If that doesn't work the HD output section of the board will be dead. There are TV part sites and Ebay that might list the board.

If you still have the cables for the DVD player plug it in the composite area and see if it comes up. If it does try something in the component section. If that doesn't work the HD output section of the board will be dead. There are TV part sites and Ebay that might list the board.

Brilliant, thank you!
I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Sounds like you'll have to open her up and get a look at that board either way, take a few pics and post them up if you do

Just wanted to say thank you all for your help!
We got the two new boards (Analog and Digital, as we didn't know which one was the culprit) on Tuesday morning, and on Tuesday night when my husband got home we began the laborious process of removing the old boards and putting the new ones in... we got stuck halfway... with extra screws and cables everywhere (and it was getting late and my husband had to be up very early for work) so we packed it up for the night.
Then, this evening we dived back in and put it all back together... with extra screws leftover of course... and VOILA!!! Working!
Pretty proud of us both!
Only issue is with one device (the Xbox) and we think that may be the cable, so we will test that out later.
Right now we are just super thrilled to have our gaming PC back, and our other devices!
YAY!

Back
Top Bottom