not all my DVD drives are recognized in Win7

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I currently have three DVDrom drives in my PC (actually 4, but I had to disconnect one of them because I connected an extra hard rive and I ran out of SATA connections on the motherboard).
All three of them are working in terms of they open and light up when I hit the eject button.
But only two of them are recognized in my Win7. I noticed this when I tried to rip a few audio CDs into iTunes, when only two of the drives actually worked for this.

Do you guys have any idea what I can do to fix this?

Another (somewhat related question): how can I connect more STA devices if I miss one SATA connection on my motherboard? are there things like SATA extensions I could use for this? Or is this simply not possible and I have to live with the amount of SATA connectors on my motherboard?

thanks,
Lars

I guess my first question would be...why do you need 3? lol

Have you checked Device Manager to see if they're recognized in there at all?

As for your SATA question...yes, you can buy PCI/PCI-E cards that add additional SATA ports.

I guess my first question would be...why do you need 3? lol

Have you checked Device Manager to see if they're recognized in there at all?

As for your SATA question...yes, you can buy PCI/PCI-E cards that add additional SATA ports.

Thanks!

well, I used to even have 4, comes in handy when ripping multiple audio CDs into iTunes.

Only two of them are recognized in the device manager.

I have had many "lost" dvd/cd drives in the past, usually they just died. You could try the "failed" ones in another system to verify.

As a matter of fact I have had so many drives "disappear" over the years I ended up getting one of those external usb enclosures and have had zero issues for a long while.

Tried swapping SATA cables from the known-working ones to the non-working ones? And swapped ports?

Thanks again,

no, haven't tried that yet.
The weird thing is, the 3rd drive is connected, when I press the eject button, it opens and the led light comes on. But it's not recognized in the device manager .... weird, isn't ?!

Thanks again,

no, haven't tried that yet.
The weird thing is, the 3rd drive is connected, when I press the eject button, it opens and the led light comes on. But it's not recognized in the device manager .... weird, isn't ?!

Well remember...the drive will open / LED will blink even if a SATA data cable isn't connected - as long as it's connected to power it will do that. The data cable is what allows it to communicate with the actual PC as far as data goes.

Well remember...the drive will open / LED will blink even if a SATA data cable isn't connected - as long as it's connected to power it will do that. The data cable is what allows it to communicate with the actual PC as far as data goes.

oh, yeah! didn't think of that. Thanks! I will check if the SATA cable is connectd right and/or replace it with a different one (if I have a spare one, that is)

Try checking in BIOS/EFI and see if they show up there;)

thanks! good idea. I will do that!

Back
Top Bottom