Is my computer slower than my Internet?

At work so can't really get the model number till tonight. I run AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware every month or so with no real problems detected.
5Mb/s is the fastest I can get in my area(read as boonies) with unlimited data and a low latency. My son uses Xbox and it seems the sat companies are to slow for that.
skeeter

Also, like PP said, please run MBAM to make sure that you are indeed clean of infections. From there, we can help troubleshoot some more.

I'll see if I can download and run MBAM tonight. Is chrome or firefox really faster than Edge(not saying Edge is great or anything like that, just convenient). Has it been shown they are faster by some type of speed test?

skeeter

Edge is technically faster in most recent tests (in regards to JavaScript rendering and such), but it doesn't have much of a base for extensions and such yet - which is what would help you in avoiding the loading of ads and unnecessary scripts and such.

I had a 1Mbps connection for many years, then a 4Mbps connection before moving into the 21st century (now have 100Mbps). Both the 1Mb and 4Mb connections were plenty fast to surf the web or even stream Netflix.

Edge is faster but doesn't have Adblock which is a must for slow internet.
If you install the new Anniversary Update for Win 10, Edge now supports extensions and Adblock is one of them. (Very small list of extensions. Hopefully, more to come.)

Attachments

• edge_ext.jpg
    edge_ext.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I had a 1Mbps connection for many years, then a 4Mbps connection before moving into the 21st century (now have 100Mbps). Both the 1Mb and 4Mb connections were plenty fast to surf the web or even stream Netflix.

If you install the new Anniversary Update for Win 10, Edge now supports extensions and Adblock is one of them. (Very small list of extensions. Hopefully, more to come.)
Those should require the insider build still. All of my machines have anniversary but no plugin support.

Before I moved back to the city in 2014 I had a 5Mb connection, it most certainly wasn't enough to stream Netflix without buffering or a serious downgrade in quality. Loading GIFs or threads with a good deal of pictures were a chore. If anybody hit the net while gaming the pings would shoot through the roof until their page was done loading. Having a 5Mb service these days is like having 14k dialup when people were moving to 512K and 1-3Mb DSL.

Last edited:
So here is the model number of my current computer for those that asked for it.

Model number: HP p2-1374
AMD E1-1200 accelerator processor
2Gb DDR ram
500Gb HD
AMD Radeon HD 7310 graphics
Running Windows 10

Will check to see about possible updates.

skeeter

Back
Top Bottom