computer disk constantly at 100 percent..

I'll also throw out there that your laptop, according to the specs, is a 5400RPM drive, so it's performance is going to impact your experience in a negative way. You should consider getting a solid state drive since the prices have come down so much. You'll never go back to a mechanical drive. It also appears that you have a 5th gen Core i3 processor, so you shouldn't have any issues there unless you're trying to run some heavy games. Definitely not trying to run Chrome, though. The hard drive is just low end. You can also upgrade it to a WD Black if you don't want to go SSD, but you can nab a good 480GB drive for about $120.

Ok well I'm back...I'm still having issues with the HDD.. When I tried chkdsk /f /r again it froze at 10 percent....I ran chkdsk /f and it ran but it did not resolve the problem..i disabled windows search....also disabled superfetch....did a clean install....The problem is mainly when the computer is first starting up and opening a browser..I am currently using the laptop to make the post and is currently at 0% but if i restart the machine it will slowly startup because the hardisk will be back at 100....i have no addons in chrome...there was also a reccomendation on google to diable flash on chrome and I'm still having issues....not sure what to do next...

I'll also throw out there that your laptop, according to the specs, is a 5400RPM drive, so it's performance is going to impact your experience in a negative way. You should consider getting a solid state drive since the prices have come down so much. You'll never go back to a mechanical drive. It also appears that you have a 5th gen Core i3 processor, so you shouldn't have any issues there unless you're trying to run some heavy games. Definitely not trying to run Chrome, though. The hard drive is just low end. You can also upgrade it to a WD Black if you don't want to go SSD, but you can nab a good 480GB drive for about $120.

Sorry didnt see your reply.. So you think the upgrade will help? Ill definitley look into that. Thanks

Ok well I'm back...I'm still having issues with the HDD.. When I tried chkdsk /f /r again it froze at 10 percent....I ran chkdsk /f and it ran but it did not resolve the problem..i disabled windows search....also disabled superfetch....did a clean install....The problem is mainly when the computer is first starting up and opening a browser..I am currently using the laptop to make the post and is currently at 0% but if i restart the machine it will slowly startup because the hardisk will be back at 100....i have no addons in chrome...there was also a reccomendation on google to diable flash on chrome and I'm still having issues....not sure what to do next...

Did it actually "freeze" (i.e. was the HDD light on your computer not flashing?) or was it just taking a long time to scan / repair? Possible that you have bad sectors on your HDD, which would cause chkdsk to take a long time to scan, as well as cause these 100% HDD usage issues.

The light is on but not blinking when I run the chkdsk...

That means it was still doing something.

I'm going to guess most likely trying to get through bad sectors if it's sitting there solid.

I would suggest backing up important data just in case. After that, go ahead and try and let the chkdsk (with /f /r params) run it's course.

Another option would be to disable Windows Defender, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services. These eat up a lot of drive time and at work Defender likes to run a quick check on every bootup. On an SSD it's not a big deal as I don't notice it, but on a 5400RPM drive I bet that ****'s pretty slow.

Here is a solution,I had similar problem with Windows 10 (before anniversary update),it's a bug.

Go to settings and find "Show me tips about Windows" and uncheck it.

I hope it helps !

Back
Top Bottom