Dell Laptop Service Tag in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris H

Solid State Member
My Service Tag shows as XXXXXXX, I want to put the actual tag number in. Tried asset.com /s but asks me to remove the SETUP password first. I didn't think I had one, and I don't know where/how to do this anyway.

No password on entering BIOS and all password options show as disabled.

Any one know how to get around this one please ?

thanks
Chris

there should be a jumper on the motherboard to reset the cmos config, thus removing the password. You'll need to look up your motherboard documentation to find out which jumper it is. It should be a three prong jumper and is prolly set on pins 1 & 2. You'll need to switch the jumper to 2 & 3 and press the power button, hold it in if the comp doesn't power on. You should not see any output on the screen. Switch the jumper back to 1 & 2 and the cmos should have reset.

if that doesnt work or you dont wanna look up the docs, you cna pull the motherboard battery out for about 3 minutes and put it back in.

;) try that... see if it works. what you're dealing with is something that Dell tries not to let you mess with... they don't like it when you meddle with things like that...
so i hope that cs's tips help
why are you trying to put your service tag in bios anyway?

thanks, I've got that as a final resort. I've tried to open the laptop casing and its a bit if a disaster area, opened a fraction and the keyboard popped out along with the drive, almost couldn't get it back together again and asn't open enough to fiddle with batteries. I think if I got he whole top open I may not be able to get it back together again. This works great with desktops but not laptops.

I'm hoping for a soft solution here.

thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom