computer disk constantly at 100 percent..

tribe1992

Solid State Member
I have an asus Q302L with windows 8.1. It has 6 gigs of ram and Intel Core i3 1.90 ghz. I am having issues with my disk always at 100 percent usuage. When I start up my laptop and open simple things like a browser it will go to 100 percent and Im not sure why. It was doing the same thing with windows 10 so i did a factory reset and it is now doing it with windows 8.1. I have tried disables some services and also cut down the programs at start up. I did a chkdsk and everything came back ok... any suggestions?

Re: computer disk contantly at 100 percent..

Sort by Disk Usage in Task Manager and/or open the Resource Monitor from Task Manager and sort by Total Read/Write bytes and see what process(es) are using so many write cycles.

top image is when i start browser and bottom image is when i first start up laptop..

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 3
  • task capture.PNG
    task capture.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2

What does Resource Monitor (accessible under the Performance tab) say?

If you have an HDD and not an SSD, I'd also suggest running a chkdsk.

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Well I'm still having issues..Its not really slowing down my computer but I'm just confused on why my laptop harddrive usage is jumping up that high...Its a little slow starting up and opening browsers though... I also did the chkdsk..

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture 55.PNG
    Capture 55.PNG
    44.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture99.PNG
    Capture99.PNG
    49 KB · Views: 2
Did chkdsk say it found anything?

You could try clearing your browser cache (choose the "From beginning of time" option in Chrome), as well as reinstalling the browser. Do you have a bunch of add-ons running in Chrome?

So I ended up uninstalling alot of the preinstalled apps on the computer and seems to be running alot better now. The HDD doesnt even reach 100 percent anymore... Kinda of stinks because now im stuck with windows 8.1...Would rather have 10

Why are you stuck with Win8 over Win10? Do a clean install with the ISO from Microsoft instead of an upgrade install, and install your necessary drivers/software.

Back
Top Bottom