Need Some Guidance as a Future Developer

Anonymous User

Beta member
Hey everybody,

I'm starting a career in video game development, and would like to know the bare minimum I would need in a desktop computer to be able to effectively run and use decent to high-end development software, precisely edit audio, and everything else within that nature of data-intensive applications. I don't want to spend a ludicrous amount of money right now (my range is between $500 and $800, until I can put out enough games to afford better quality parts), but if there are no shortcuts I can make do. I have meager first-hand experience with computer building. I've spent an embarrassingly high number of hours studying and researching the topic, but there are some things that the research just can't teach. If you would be so kind as to even point me in the direction of specific products I would be more than grateful, but some simple insight and tips are invaluable as well.

Some specifics I'll need to know:

-Good CPU clock (no overclocking)
-Robust RAM size
-Optimal temperatures and cooling systems
-Quality GPU clock, core count, and graphical RAM size
-Optimal sound card clock and noise reduction range
-Quality, ultra-sensitive headphones
-Best screen resolution and size

Thanks in advance,

~Derrick of Boston

I plan on running UDK4, Game Maker Studio (Free and Professional), and likely Unity 3D. I've got a mouse/keyboard/monitor, although I may want to upgrade the monitor once I have the cash. There aren't any other peripherals (to my knowledge, please correct me if it isn't so) that I would need, not as soon as I get up and running at the very least.

Alright well, you're gonna need more budget. You can develop on these programs easily with a cheaper graphics card but it's going to be harder to test performance and such without having a good graphics card and that's where half of your budget will go. You're basically asking for a machine that'll do it all without spending money like a teen wants to max games on a Walmart computer. 800 bucks will get you a good computer, but you'll have to live with a lot of sacrifices.

To give you an idea, you're going to want an i5 6600k at least (or i5 6400), a board to go with it, so 50-100 bucks there, 16GB of RAM minimum, add a 50 dollar Corsair CX, a 50 dollar case, a 250GB SSD, and a 1TB drive to install other stuff on. That's ~570 right there, not including a copy of Windows if you need it or a graphics card.

The ideal setup would be an i7, a 520-620W Seasonic PSU, a 512GB SSD, and something like a GTX 1060 minimum.

If you're ok with the first set of specs we can get you rolling, otherwise I'd set aside that cash for another 200ish bucks.

Back
Top Bottom